FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: College Football Week 6

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will kill if Jay Paterno becomes HC after Joe Pa is gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not gonna happen fortunately. Donors would freak out.

Morelli was effective a few drives during this game. You just never know which Morelli is going to come out each series. The 4th quarter meltdown was awful again.

Royster ran the ball effectively, hopefully his injury isn't serious (I don't think it is, he was up at the end of the game). His blocking was pretty poor but at least he could actually hit a hole. Zero turnovers for him is nice too.

And good god, Iowa is awful. They are like PSU in 2004. ZERO playmakers on offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a guy who might end up succeeding Paterno is Schiano. A lot of whispers in the Jersey area about him coveting the job and it being one of the reasons that he stayed put at Rutgers. He coached there and is in love with the college/tradition.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have always thought of Ferentz as a top-tier coach. And with some recent quailty recruiting classes, I thought they would be more competitive. No way they should have lost to 1-4 Iowa St., a 4-8 Iowa State team in 2006, a 5-7 Indiana team in 2006, a 4-8 Northwestern team in 2006, Northwestern in 2005, Minnesota in 2006, Arizona State in 2004 by 35+ points, at Michigan State in 2003, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

You're not the only one who thinks he's top tier. But for a 'top tier' coach, his teams lose some inexcusable games. Maybe I'm overly cynical, but take away 2002-2004, and he's been thoroughly unimpressive, if not downright bad.

He and Mike DeBord are the two guys who make me cringe when their names come up as a possible Lloyd replacements.

My personal "who I'd want as the next Michigan head coach" rankings:

DeBord < anyone else on the current Michigan coaching staff < Ferentz < Lloyd staying <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t; Tedford/Miles/Kelly/Schiano/anyone else

You would think this season, coupled with a 12-34 tenure at CMU, would categorically rule out DeBord...but this is Michigan we're talking about, where things like "offensive deception" and "throwing on 1st and 10" are considered impolite and discouraged as a rule. So DeBord is probably the [censored] favorite, especially if Lloyd has any influence in choosing his successor.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will kill if Jay Paterno becomes HC after Joe Pa is gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not gonna happen fortunately. Donors would freak out.

Morelli was effective a few drives during this game. You just never know which Morelli is going to come out each series. The 4th quarter meltdown was awful again.

Royster ran the ball effectively, hopefully his injury isn't serious (I don't think it is, he was up at the end of the game). His blocking was pretty poor but at least he could actually hit a hole. Zero turnovers for him is nice too.

And good god, Iowa is awful. They are like PSU in 2004. ZERO playmakers on offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a guy who might end up succeeding Paterno is Schiano. A lot of whispers in the Jersey area about him coveting the job and it being one of the reasons that he stayed put at Rutgers. He coached there and is in love with the college/tradition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be pretty surprised is Tom Bradley didn't get the job. I don't know if he's the best guy for the job, but I think his loyalty and success as a coordinator gets rewarded.

Schiano is an interesting candidate. His PSU ties allow him to be seriously considered for the job, but I'm not sure PSU will spend the kind of money it's going to take to get him. I am impressed with what he's done at Rutgers and I'd be pleased with him as a head coach.

I'll be happy as long as the next head coach is allowed to pick his offensive staff and he cleans house on that side of the ball.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:51 PM

WSU had a nice 1 point win over ASU that won't happened because we got flat robbed by the refs on a TD call.

I hate the pac10 so much.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WSU had a nice 1 point win over ASU that won't happened because we got flat robbed by the refs on a TD call.

[/ QUOTE ]

saw that...terrible call

ASU got robbed also on their last FG drive
should've been a face mask and a first down...don't know if they would've gotten the TD instead of a FG

embarrassingly bad calls by the officials
Old 10-06-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

saw that...terrible call

ASU got robbed also on their last FG drive
should've been a face mask and a first down...don't know if they would've gotten the TD instead of a FG

embarrassingly bad calls by the officials

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing about the facemask is, the defender was directly between the ref and the QB. Since the ref is the only official who can make that call, it is plausible that he didn't see it.

With the TD, though...that was even reviewed (I know, I know, all plays are reviewed). To me, this makes the blown TD call a little more of an issue.

Good luck all,

hd
Old 10-06-2007, 07:59 PM

The worst part was that the booth guys explained why they didn't reverse it, which is based on a new rule. Which doesn't apply because he was clearly down with possession.

That face mask was also bad. Does college have the 5 yard kind, 'cause it would have been one of those, I assume. Obviously if we have the lead we should have at that point, they can't run the drive they do in that spot.

WSU make a lot of mistakes. Our offensive game plan was horrible. We wasted timeouts in the 2nd half. We should have gone for it on 4th down instead of letting a kicker who does not have that kind of range try for that kick.

WSU has a horrible coaching staff. It's probably in our best interest to not win another game this year, because it will take something very bad to force our administration to make a move.

ASU is a joke btw. There's no excuse for them not blowing us out. They just could not block the blitz all day and let one not terribly fantastic linebacker almost win us the game.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:01 PM

The other thing that's horrible about the TD call is that the guy had a perfect angle to call it live. His blowing the call there is almost as bad as the replay guys blowing it.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:01 PM

yeah....WSU's blitz package almost won the game

I expected a blowout and lost a decent amount of cash as a result