BTN: $4.50
SB: $12.40
BB: $22.75
UTG: $25.90
Hero (UTG+1): $21.15
UTG+2: $11.10
MP1: $10.80
MP2: $15.60

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG+1)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1</font>, 6 folds, BB calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.10) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls $2

Turn: ($6.10) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero ...

Alright, this is mainly a general strategy question and not specifically about this hand. I see three options:

#1: I can check the turn. This keeps the pot small and gives me an opportunity to induce a small bluff from my opponent on the river. Obviously, I'm not interested in a big pot here, so this is in line with that thinking. However, we're letting our opponent draw (assuming he or she is) for absolutely nothing and giving them a chance to take the hand away with a big bet on the river.

#2: We can lead out around half the pot offering our opponent 3:1 on the call. Assuming we can fold to any raise and also to any river bet after another nasty card lands, we're not offering them enough implied odds to make this call. Against a thinking opponent, we are setting ourselves up to be bluffed off the pot, but we are talking about standard NL25 players.

#3: We man up and lead out a near PSB. We're certainly betting for value here as well as charging the maximum amount for a draw. Unfortunately, we'll be playing for a rather large river pot and if our opponent leads out (even on a blank river) I begin to weep.

I've never felt comfortable in this situation (overpair on a coordinated board with a calling opponent). Note that the turn card doesn't really have to be this nasty, this is just the most recent hand that made me ponder this type of situation.

What's the general consensus on the best turn play here?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: General Theory - NL25 KK vs Coordinated Board

I like a check behind for pot control. I worry less about giving free cards when there is a moderate chance I'm already behind. Get more value calling a moderate bet on a blank river, or making a half-pot value bet, than betting the turn, IMHO. Love to hear other responses, because this isn't an uncommon situation.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:59 PM

I will say one thing, this is a frustrating situation we have all come accross where the board is just spitting in ur face. Considering u have bet the whole way, the blind may have u beat and is letting u bet it for him. ALso he has already called a near pot sized bet on the flop so he is probably not gonna be pushed off his hand if u bet
Old 10-06-2007, 05:22 PM

I like the check. There´s a chance we are already behind and we are going to call a small to medium bet on the river anyway, right ?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the check. There´s a chance we are already behind and we are going to call a small to medium bet on the river anyway, right ?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would most definitely call a small to medium bet on the river. I'd probably call a larger bet as well as long as a blank falls.

Checking is definitely appealing (I did, in fact, check the turn in the hand above). I don't think I like a near PSB as we end up having to fold on a blank river if the villan wakes up. Considering, at this point, we've put in ~50% of our stack, this, obviously, sucks.

But how about betting enough (like 1/2 the pot) to price them out of a draw?