Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Re: College Football Week 6

[ QUOTE ]
It is just amazing. Coaches are so stupid. When will they learn that you don't go for a 2-point conversion unless you have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is just amazing that most sports fans aren't really capable of thinking critically about sports decision and base their opinions on old-wives tales and "conventional wisdom."
Old 10-06-2007, 02:41 PM

They realized this is football not basketball.
[ QUOTE ]
I will feel bad for UNC if they blow this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-06-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is just amazing. Coaches are so stupid. When will they learn that you don't go for a 2-point conversion unless you have to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that wrong? And didn't you just post that it was a bad idea for Wisconsin to go for 2? I'm confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad spot to go for 2. Not going for 2 "unless you need to" is also bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are probably a good amount of NCAA teams that should almost never kick extra points, and certainly never in the first 3 quarters.

Not saying Wisconsin is such a team or that this was a good decision to go for 2, just agreeing with you that "never unless you have to" is way, way suboptimal.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a bad spot to go for 2. Not going for 2 "unless you need to" is also bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

An extra point is about 99% and a two-point conversion is what...40%? give or take. I have a hard time understanding why you'd go for 2 in any situation where it wasn't an absolute necessity.

One of my favorites in this is Joe Tiller. Anybody remember that Purdue-Georgia bowl game a few years ago. Purdue scores a TD and misses the XP, so the score is 6-0. Purdue keeps scoring TD's and Tiller keeps going for 2-point conversions to get that missed XP back. They keep missing and lose points. Georgia tied the game late and won in OT, because Tiller was a total clueless idiot who kept going for 2 point conversions when he didn't have to.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:43 PM

Good time to go for two. Don't like the option call, especially after you just blew them off the line and ran it in.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

An extra point is about 99% and a two-point conversion is what...40%? give or take. I have a hard time understanding why you'd go for 2 in any situation where it wasn't an absolute necessity.

One of my favorites in this is Joe Tiller. Anybody remember that Purdue-Georgia bowl game a few years ago. Purdue scores a TD and misses the XP, so the score is 6-0. Purdue keeps scoring TD's and Tiller keeps going for 2-point conversions to get that missed XP back. They keep missing and lose points. Georgia tied the game late and won in OT, because Tiller was a total clueless idiot who kept going for 2 point conversions when he didn't have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Extra points are not 99%. And the 2 point conversion rate depends HEAVILY on the personnel you have. Obv, so does the PAT rate. Using the overall NCAA success rate has some serious limitations. Its more accurate in the NFL, but still obviously limited.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is just amazing that most sports fans aren't really capable of thinking critically about sports decision and base their opinions on old-wives tales and "conventional wisdom."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't lack critical thinking skills, I just don't understand the math involved. If going for 2 on a very regular basis is a good idea, as some here are advocating, how come NO coach has ever done this? Don't get me wrong, coaches can be idiots, but if this is such a good idea, wouldn't one coach have caught on by now?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:46 PM

going for 2 there was pointless
illinois is going to score at least 3 more and it wasn't even the 4th quarter yet. u give up 24 in 3 quarters then think ur gonna shut them out in the 4th. not likely
Old 10-06-2007, 02:47 PM

lol reviewaments
Old 10-06-2007, 02:47 PM

THEY CALLED IT A [censored] CATCH!!! WHAT A BUNCH OF [censored] WISCONSIN HAS GOTTEN SO [censored] LUCKY IN THIS GAME WTF GOD DAMNIT !!