1 9 37.50%
2 11 45.83%
3 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2007, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Top Chef Finale

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's true, Casey didn't win, but I would eat anything she put in front of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cuh to the mother [censored] ching.

Remove your hand from your dick and realize that she was clearly #3. Don't fret, this finish helps the odds she's in playboy next spring at which point you can return hand to dick.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think I'd wait until next spring? I'm sure I can find a suitable replacement on the internet in the meantime.

All the judges disliked her food, I'm not surprised she took third. A little disappointed since she'd been doing so well lately, but these things happen.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But let's be realistic, no one thinks top chef means dick from a culinary perspective. It's all about becoming the next tv personality.

[/ QUOTE ]

The contestants don't seem to treat it that way.

Harold Dieterle, season 1 winner, used the show as a springboard to his own restaurant, Perilla in NYC. Tiffani Faison, runner up to Harold, is executive chef at Todd English's Riche in New Orleans.

Sam Talbot, who certainly had the looks and popularity to go the tv personality route, has also been trying to open his own restaurant in NYC.

As far as I know, the only one still involved with TV (actively, not guest spots on Top Chef) is Lee Ann Wong. She hired on with Top Chef, not in front of the camera, but in a culinary role, designing and preparing the challenges.

Let's see what Casey does, since she clearly has the looks to do TV. But I'd bet she continues working in restaurants for now.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Glad to see Hung took it down. I'm always a fan of the hard working immigrant story, and think it will mean the most to him with his family in the restaurant business all his life.

I also really like that someone who worked hard to be technically proficient in their field came out on top. This guy didn't try to skip the basics. When he saw or tasted food, he knew without much thought how to duplicate it. I think the finale, with full control of his own menu was the first time we really got to see Hung cook Hung's food.

I was never a fan of Mohawk Dale, though he was more interesting after he disclosed what a comeback this was. It made him gaining confidence as the season went on make a lot more sense. But, 1 1/2 years of not cooking because your restaurant closed? Get over it already EMO BOY and move on.

It would have been nice to see Casey wow them with at least one dish. I think she may have the best palate of the three and has the potential for greatness. Really short sited knowing all season that the finale was in Aspen and not taking altitude into consideration. She knew after the opening of the judges panel it wasn't hers to win and I thought she handled the loss gracefully.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:40 PM

entertainme, WRT Dale not cooking for 1.5 years, it also coincided with a relationship breakup, so I could see how being jobless and alone might plunge someone into depression (speaking from personal experience lol emo).
Old 10-05-2007, 02:54 PM

Stevie,

"Let's see what Casey does, since she clearly has the looks to do TV."

I'm hoping she anchors the Girls of Top Chef Playboy.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:42 PM

I just caught the finale again and I kinda suspect that Casey may have been suffering from altitude sickness. If you watch, she's constantly gasping when they are at the Aspen club (11,000feet). Having had altitude sickness a couple of times I can see how her plan could have easily unraveled due to the associated disorientation and fuzzy headedness.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Marcel turned down a Chef de Cuisine job at Sirrio Maccioni's restaurant in the Dominican Republic - El Pescator but will stay on as consultant - this show obviously does wonders for careers. Not sure what Sam Talbot was thinking trying to open up an upscale burger joining in NYC. Maybe that's why he parted ways with his investors.

Casey is hot, hot and will probably benefit the most.

Bring on Search for the Next Iron Chef. Least that will hold me over for a while.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just caught the finale again and I kinda suspect that Casey may have been suffering from altitude sickness. If you watch, she's constantly gasping when they are at the Aspen club (11,000feet). Having had altitude sickness a couple of times I can see how her plan could have easily unraveled due to the associated disorientation and fuzzy headedness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really good point. When she was in her room I was thinking she should have had someone bring her oxygen. Going to Pike's Peak in CO was hell on earth for me. I actually went to the oxygen bar in the gift shop.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:13 PM

Altitude sickness could be a factor. But that's still no excuse for being completely dumbfounded by the differences in boiling point and whatever else. Both Casey and Dale knew they were going to have to cook at high altitude and failed to prepare.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:42 PM

a couple of things:

1) i saw a bit of rocco hating, but haven't really read a lot. i hope people who hate on rocco don't do so either because bourdain doesn't like him, or because of his awful tv restaurant. the guy is supposed to be amazing, and union pacific was supposed to be very, very good.

2) in a lot of ways, dale had less at risk than the other finalists. having already been The Guy at a handful of very nice chicago restaurants. that said, i wish he'd made more stuff like that lamb along the way this season.

3) i think hung totally deserved to win. he was most consistently good this season, and his final round food seemed great.

i think this season was the best yet in terms of talent, but i think they did a bunch of stuff worse than previously, or haven't fixed some stuff they could. i think that the theme of having like 1 challenge in which you get to use any good ingredients at all is pretty weak, and i think that having so many team challenges is weak.

eh, more later, gotta run.