Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 02:30 PM

Default $5,000 on Poker Stars

I deposited $5000 on Pokerstars in early August. I now have $1500 left.

I started out playing $200NLHE and then drop to $100NLHE and then $50NLHE. I have mainly been adhering to the 20 times the max buyin rule. I tend to play as many as 9 tables as I find that this way I only play quality starting hands and position.

I use Poker Tracker and here are some stats.

VPP% 15

First action on flop
Raise 3%, Bet 60%

agression factor is 1.5

Position

Button = 20%
1 = 18.8
2 = 16.91
3 = 13.48
4 = 12.06
5 = 10.62
6 = 10.11
BB = 11.38
SB = 20.92

When I first started I was playing to many hands and overplaying middle pairs. I have since changed where I only play quality hands in position which I think the PT stats show and I try to keep pots smaller when playing middle pairs.

I am a first time poster and really looking for some constructive critism. I can post more info if needed.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: $5,000 on Poker Stars

Could you post your PFR%, too? Are you 9-tabling 6max or full ring? Maybe just take a screenshot of your stats summary and position stats and post them?

The only glaring hole I can see from this info is that you're playing too many hands from the small blind, and your agression factor is lower than I'd like to see...

If you could post the screenshots that would be sweet.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:42 PM

if you play full ring, go to that forum, post specific hands, get advice and improve your game. If you play 6 handed, go to that forum and do the same.

Read hand history posts and join the discussion. I imagine your leaks are not as simple as starting hands, position or overall aggression.

Also, I suggest starting at 25nl and moving up when you beat the game over at least 20k hands. Then move to 50 and do the same. It seems money is not the issue with you, but unless you improve your game you will bleed eternally.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:12 PM

20 buyin rule is to compensate for variance of a PROVEN WINNER in those stakes. Just because you are rolled for a level does not mean you have the skills or discipline to play it. You can't try to "run up" your stake this quickly, playing 9(!) tables before you've shown that you can beat 1.

Without discipline, you will not be a winning player. It is a skill just like knowing when to draw to a flush. Familiarize yourself with the strategy forums on the left, under PL/NL Texas Holdem, Full Ring.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:01 PM

Why did you jump into 200NL head first and playing 9 tables? Wouldn't starting smaller and getting some experience have been the wise thing to do?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:11 PM

[x] plays too many tables
[x] plays above skill level
[x] i'm jealous b/c you deposited 5k
[x] on the road to busto

dude, maybe you're really good but playing 9 tables is a mistake for you. maybe, you're a great 1/2 live player or even higher stakes but the 1/2 guys online play 9 tabes and crush them. either move down, start playing limit or maybe the best thing to do is just start playing donkaments. With $1500, you should be able to build a roll very nicely playing SnGs and MTTs at the lower buyins. Also, starting playing the small rebuy tourneys and before too long you'll be BBV about a win
Old 10-05-2007, 07:31 PM

Great advice guys.

I could post screenshots of requested PT stats if I knew how to. How do you do that. Poker Tracker is not printer friendly. LOL

I am going to start playing $25NLHE as Pokerfun suggested. I'm also going to post on the strategy forums. FYI, I have been playing full ring and have approx. 55,000 hands on PT.

I have crushed our local 1/2 game for 35K over the past 3 years and have done well with on-line tournies, hence the decision to deposit 5K on Poker Stars. However, the on-line games and the local games are obviously not similar. LOL

Appreciate the comments. Someone tell me how to post screen PT and I will do it.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:42 PM

Kudos to you for taking the advice and not getting defensive. The more you put into poker the more you get out of it. Best of luck.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 PM

Hey-

As long as you're not using a Mac, you can do this... Open up PT, get the tab you want to take a shot of to the front, and press 'print screen' on your keyboard.

What this does is takes a snapshot of everything visible on your screen at the time. You then open an image processing program, i.e. Paint, or Photoshop, and chop the image up so it's just the part we want to see, then save it.

In order to post it on here though, I think you'd need space on the net to store it and to link to. i.e. Photobucket.

So if in the end you think this is a bit too complicated, I won't hold it against ya! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2007, 01:14 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
I have crushed our local 1/2 game for 35K over the past 3 years and have done well with on-line tournies, hence the decision to deposit 5K on Poker Stars. However, the on-line games and the local games are obviously not similar. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, at those levels the online games are always going to be much tougher than the live games. For low limit games, an online level is going to play like a live level about five to ten times richer. You probably want to be at 25NL.