Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Home Game - Argument gets started

I don't see a straight on that board. Since everyone (including yourself) seems to be confused about exactly what each player held and what was on the board I'd let this one go.

A decision was made when all this information was easily verifiable. Second guessing it now is just going to make things work.

Just explain it to your friend like that and move along.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This post was made because I wondered if there was some kind of unwritten code between poker players regarding to this type of argument.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well the unwritten code is that once the hand is over and the next hand starts, the decision is final. Obviously, between friends, as Khabbi points out, this can be greyed.

However, a real poker player would never do this to another real poker player.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the board , there was a 9,10,Q,K and an A. Never mind the suits , there was no possibility for the flush.
So there IS a straight on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no straight on this board. Try remembering harder or we might start believing your friend.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A decision was made when all this information was easily verifiable. Second guessing it now is just going to make things worse .

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP

I think at this point, you are all confused and should just trust that the proper decision was made when all the information was clearly in front of you.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 AM

Yes, obviously the hand is over and the payout stands.

Having said that, the same is true for a string raise, or folding your big blind when there's no raise. We let go of a lot for beginning players.

Solution is obvious. Split the money the way they want. Next time explain poker rules to them before you play. Assume they are either completely clueless and naive, or just naggy nitty people who might not be your friends for much longer. If that's what they're like, you can do better. Be polite, just don't have an evening of monopoly with them, or go to a restaurant where you need to split the bill.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to me I clearly won with an ace high straight , while she had a king high straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
As far as I remember ..

On the board , there was a 9,10,Q,K and an A. Never mind the suits , there was no possibility for the flush.

I have A J
I think she had K K

I distinctly remember there being 3Ks at the end

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet she really did have KJ and it should have been split. By the way, you contradict yourself a LOT.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as I remember ..

I have A J
I think she had K K

I distinctly remember there being 3Ks at the end

She is not so sure of her hand anymore and the recent version is she thinks she had K J

Stakes are not that high. We're talking bout a 10$ buy-in so I would just pay up to get the nagging to stop.

This post was made because I wondered if there was some kind of unwritten code between poker players regarding to this type of argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, unless you can be sure, the hand is over.

Given your lack of total recall, I'd pay the buy-in as a cheap alternative.

Be clear to the group in the future that day-after doesn't fly.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stakes are not that high. We're talking bout a 10$ buy-in so I would just pay up to get the nagging to stop.

[/ QUOTE ]
They are completely in the wrong and do not even have a leg to stand on.

If I felt merciful, I would turn the other cheek and pay them the $10 only after telling them the following:

"I'm sorry that you misunderstood things last week. In the future, if you think you won the pot, you need to speak up RIGHT AWAY, because after the hand is over and the cards are shuffled back into the deck, there is no way to tell who had what.

"Normally I would never, ever, under any circumstances return money after a game is finished. That is not how poker works. But because you guys are new and maybe didn't understand how the rules work, I'd be happy to give $10 to buy into the next game out of the goodness of my heart. I hope that you now realize how important it is to raise your objection right away, before the hand is over, because there is no other way we can run a poker game."

Depending on how nice they were the next time would depend on whether I ever invite them back again. But since the stakes are so low, you might consider bending the rules to maintain a friendly game. Don't let them think they are right and you are wrong, however, but be nice about it at the same time if you can.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:39 PM

Neuroman's approach is a fast way to kill your game before it starts.

Instead of giving money back, just buy beer and pizza and whiskey for next week. You were big winner anyway, and this will encourage future big winners to do the same. To start off the night, open up a beer and take it to your buddy's wife and toast to no hard feelings, but just let them know that such things need to be pointed out immediately, as when two memories collide there's no way to find the truth.

If someone wants to argue, don't do it at the game. Talk with them outside and away if you think it will help, otherwise table the discussion until another time, with the upset parties sitting out this week if need be.

Do not be defensive or argumentative. Agree with them that it's a murky situation and that it would suck if in fact she did have a split pot hand but nobody noticed it until way too late. Just reiiterate that there's no way to tell for sure, and you want to keep it fair, and that if the situation were reversed you'd want the decision to be the same.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

tell him you give his wife money all the time

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not stop laughing at this.

As far as buying the wife in next time, I most likely would if you wanted them to shut up and play again. If you don't care about the complaining or them playing in the future, then don't worry about it. Of course that's just what I would do.

Additionally, if I did spot her a buy-in I would make a comment that it was just to ensure that there was no bad blood. If you think the pot was pushed to you correctly, I wouldn't back down from that.