Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 03:07 AM

Default Re: 500BB pot vs maniac

[ QUOTE ]
Playing middle pair, crap kicker 250 BBs deep versus a maniac is not my favorite thing, which is why I would probably fold preflop.

Meanwhile, though, if that sample hand is Villain's typical approach -- and it sounds like it is -- then I don't think position matters that much. I would just prefer to have better high-card strength. If I played, it would probably be with the idea of letting Villain steal the pot from me unless I hit the flop really well (as in at least top pair). Which probably isn't really the way to play against this guy (and it certainly isn't if the stacks were shorter), which is why I wouldn't bother with T8s from the SB when this deep. (But I probably would play the same hand vs. a min-raise if I were in the BB and knew I was going to be HU, so I guess maybe I'm being a little picky.)

But once you play and flop top two, it seems like it's time to play for stacks. Villain isn't going to let you play for much less, and you got your rare monster on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason I called PF is simply, I need to play any flop vs him before he loses his 250bb stack to someone else. If I hit a perfect flop I will get his stack, if not move on and hope I can hit next.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:10 AM

You run so good you laggy swede
Old 10-05-2007, 03:11 AM

I should add that if you to a large degree get to choose the final pot size, then that's more reason to play. That is, if he always responds to getting played back at by continuing to try to be the bully, but he just makes absolutely meaningless pot-sized bets when not played back at, then you can get to showdown for 50-60 BB or so versus his min-raise when you flop a pair but can play for the full 250 BB if you flop something really good and want to play for more. Which does seem like a pretty good deal, especially since you'll frequently win those 50-60 BB pots too.

HU from the BB, if Villain is as bad as what I described, I think you can play any two versus a min-raise.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have no problems entering this pot PF unless you are terrible spewer post flop imo

[/ QUOTE ]
and what happens when you the flop comes J82 with two spades? playing marginal hands against maniacs OOP is a losing proposition in my opinion.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should have no problems entering this pot PF unless you are terrible spewer post flop imo

[/ QUOTE ]
and what happens when you the flop comes J82 with two spades? playing marginal hands against maniacs OOP is a losing proposition in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Villain makes bets and raises that are as predictable and meaningless as OP makes it sound, then I don't think position really matters.

Edit: In this and my previous post I am assuming that Villain is really, really bad, by the way. Versus a maniac who will frequently, but not always, play aggressively for the pot, and will sometimes, but not always, fold when played back at, and will sometimes, but not always, overbet big or push at some point during the hand, the situation becomes much dicier.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can fold one pair (and I probably would vs this guy). You're not playing T8c for one pair value you're looking for 2 pair+ on the flop or a flush or straight.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:11 AM

calling OOP this deep, w/ the implied odds you say you have is fine.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:49 AM

for the people saying I should not play this OOP:
Position means NOTHING if I know what he will do on every street either way. The only thing that was unexpected is for him to only call the flop 3bet in which he would normally shove or min raise with 3 high
Old 10-05-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for the people saying I should not play this OOP:
Position means NOTHING if I know what he will do on every street either way. The only thing that was unexpected is for him to only call the flop 3bet in which he would normally shove or min raise with 3 high

[/ QUOTE ]

I would still probably play the hand the same way you did, but it does worry me when a predictably hyper-aggressive Villain all of a sudden just calls. But at least you're still beating a lot of the strong hands he could have.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:03 AM

OBV it worries me that he called, I really got to thinking town when he did. But I told myself the odds on him beating me w/ any two and doing this in every pot he is in I just won't lay it down. He showed J9 after we went all-in and I won the pot. Gz me