Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Re: optimal vpip for $5NL

At the lower levels i believe the tight play still works at the 6max as you will find it harder to push players off their marginal hands so you want to be bluffing less and pushing premium hands. You get paid off with these hands at the micro levels as no-one notices how tight you are playing.

I think as a beginner you dont want to be playing 25/20. Start from a 15/10 base and work more hands into your play as you climb the ladder.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
14/12/2

[/ QUOTE ]

I only have 544 hands at 5NL, fullring stars, but my stats are vpip 28.86, pf raise 8.82, and total af 1.14 (that's the 3rd one, right?). So I'm playing too loose and not raising enough? I guess I've just been lucky because my BB/100 is 56

This is even more strange. My stats for 25NL are even looser at 5K hands. 31.9/8.88/.95 with BB/100 of 7.1

I usually only play for an hour or two some nights after I get knocked out of a tourney, so that is why I have so few hands, but I didn't realize I was playing bad. How many hands do I need to know I'm not just lucky?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many hands do I need to know I'm not just lucky?

[/ QUOTE ]

many multitudes more than 5,544, i can assure you.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:26 PM

10,000 hands should give you a good idea. anyone can be shown as a winner after 544 hands, no offence.

full ring 31.9/8.8 will get you in trouble in my opinion. If you are comfortable playing that way and you are winning then carry on but i think players here would agree that those stats are too loose passive.

just my .02
Old 10-04-2007, 07:39 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

helter,

You're definitely not raising enough pre-flop, and you are probably playing too many hands as well. I don't think it is necessary for your VPIP to be in the teens, but once you're over 25% you're getting loose (in my opinion), and 32% is probably overkill.

In general you want your PF raise to be at least half of your VPIP. I like to have mine at least 65% of VPIP. I'm at 18.4/13.4 for 25NL and 17.0/12.3 for 10NL, albeit over just a couple thousand hands. When your raising less than a third of the time you're entering the pot, you're coming in passively way too often, and that creates problems on later streets.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:45 PM

Helter- yes, your VPIP is WAY too high for your PFR%, and your agression factor is also pretty low all things considered.

Chances are you've been hitting all your limped hands, aka getting lucky.

These stats won't hold up over 10k+ hands. If you really like playing that many hands, at least try raising a bit more. But my suggestion is get the VPIP down to around 20-22, and raise the PFR% up to around 15-18.

GL