Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Re: WCOOP ME, Table chip leader in a tricky (?) spot UTG

[ QUOTE ]
PM, the hand seems to be more read-dependant than anything since you're claiming this guy folds an overpair way more than anybody I've ever seen, especially considering that you've been active in recent hands.
One thing to consider is that if the players on your table are really playing this weak and you have strong reads on them you probably want to err on the side of caution when it comes to marginal decisions for a large percentage of your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I have no problem agreeing that it was a spew, and I can find better spots etc etc. But at a weak table the contrary argument works too: it won't be too difficult to built back if i make a mistake here and still have a healthy stack (it was indeed a good combination of calling stations and folding stations, and one complete maniac, and i don't mean me).

I think that the main thing that interests me about this hand, is that in first look it seems like a complete waste of tons of chips (starting from pf and on). Huge -EV donking. But the more I thought about it I found it to be simply marginal, and not pure donkish. I think there's an important difference between pure donkage and something that might be indeed -EV but can actually have some benefits and is not nearly as bad as it seems at first.

Two more points I didn't mention: 9 high flop for instance (not too connected) is better for this move than T high. Also in some cases (not too often if I read his bet right) he simply has AK here obviously which he folds fast anyway.