Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

Just found out (it's on the UFC website), Ortiz/Evans II is off. Evans and Bisping are fighting at 78. Interesting stuff.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:35 AM

Its a real odd decision since both were suppose to be in immediate rematches..Wonder if this means Tito's contract renewal aint going so well..
Old 10-04-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think Jardine only made $14k for that fight, you're nuts. The payroll numbers reports to the athletic commissions are only base salaries for fights. The UFC gives lots of bonuses (in addition to the standard bonuses for Fight of the Night, KO/Sub of the night, etc.), plus these guys are making a lot of money off of sponsorships. It is weird that Jardine made one of the lowest base salaries on the card, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he gets more money in sponsorships. Yes there are bonuses given out but he didn't receive any of it that night (all of the bonuses were disclosed in the article). True his earning potential has increased.... but not that much. If I was Jardine, I would feel ripped off. Even if you factor in that people are paying PPV fees to see Liddell, at LEAST get a $50k loss/$100K contract negotiated vs. Liddell's 500K/1M sweetheart deal.

About Houston, I really hope they put him in vs Machida asap. If he proves he can beat a ground fighter, give the guy his title shot.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:09 AM

On another topic, any discussion/thoughts about tonight's Ultimate Fighter?

I find it so sick to my stomach that Joey couldn't stick it out for a few more weeks for his buddy Matt Serra. What a pussy. Serra did everything he could to keep him in, told him the score, tried to give him the best advice. Dana even going into his room and trying to convince him to stay. Just wow. The guy gave the middle finger to all these heavy hitters in the industry in one fell swoop. GG career and life.

Tonight's fight was terrible, the guy walked right into the choke and just let it happen. He was obviously feeling the moment. Terrible fight, just like Joey's. I really hope that the season improves, I've had high hopes for it but the potential hasn't shown yet. Hopefully Hughes gets really pissed off next show just like the previews have alluded to.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:51 AM

The Joey thing was odd. I know living like that must really suck, but for him to basically give up a friend, a job and probably a career in mma, instead of staying a few more weeks is nuts.

I am hoping the fights get better soon too. Though I think once some of the more one dimensional fighters are picked and booted, it should get better.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its a real odd decision since both were suppose to be in immediate rematches..Wonder if this means Tito's contract renewal aint going so well..

[/ QUOTE ]

"September 24th, 2007
The rematch betwen Hamil and I was being planned for Nov 27 in New Jersey. Unfortuntely Hamil is unable to fight as he is having knee surgery. I am dissapointed as I was really looking forward to fighting him again. That said, myself having a torn posterier cruciate ligament in each of my knees for my last 3 fights I can understand why he’s having it.

Wishing you a speedy recovery matt and hopefully we can “get it on” soon.On a side note it gives my big toe a chance to heal as I stubbed it on the way o the octagon. Stay tuned…."

From bisping.tv, looks like bisping v hamill will have to wait a while :/
Old 10-04-2007, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you think Jardine only made $14k for that fight, you're nuts. The payroll numbers reports to the athletic commissions are only base salaries for fights. The UFC gives lots of bonuses (in addition to the standard bonuses for Fight of the Night, KO/Sub of the night, etc.), plus these guys are making a lot of money off of sponsorships. It is weird that Jardine made one of the lowest base salaries on the card, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he gets more money in sponsorships. Yes there are bonuses given out but he didn't receive any of it that night (all of the bonuses were disclosed in the article). True his earning potential has increased.... but not that much. If I was Jardine, I would feel ripped off. Even if you factor in that people are paying PPV fees to see Liddell, at LEAST get a $50k loss/$100K contract negotiated vs. Liddell's 500K/1M sweetheart deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is standard for the TUF guys. Their initial contracts are always terribly low paying and last for several fights.

J
Old 10-04-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"September 24th, 2007
The rematch betwen Hamil and I was being planned for Nov 27 in New Jersey. Unfortuntely Hamil is unable to fight as he is having knee surgery. I am dissapointed as I was really looking forward to fighting him again. That said, myself having a torn posterier cruciate ligament in each of my knees for my last 3 fights I can understand why he’s having it.

Wishing you a speedy recovery matt and hopefully we can “get it on” soon.On a side note it gives my big toe a chance to heal as I stubbed it on the way o the octagon. Stay tuned…."

From bisping.tv, looks like bisping v hamill will have to wait a while :/

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess Hamill was full of it when he said he only needed 3 weeks rehab after surgery.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What article? The UFC doesn't usually disclose any of its bonuses outside of the Fight/KO/Sub of the Night. Maybe I didn't make it clear that Dana and the UFC hand out bonuses ON TOP of the Fight/KO/Sub of the Night. I don't really feel that bad for Jardine. The only reason people care is because he was thrown in the main event with Liddell and won. He had no business being on top of the card anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
About Houston, I really hope they put him in vs Machida asap. If he proves he can beat a ground fighter, give the guy his title shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Machida isn't a ground fighter. He's a counterstriker/karate guy. An Alexander/Ortiz fight would be interesting, but I think Ortiz should fight a bigger name like Hendo to really drive the value of that card up.

re: Hamill surgery

If he hasn't had the surgery, three weeks wouldn't give him enough time to rehab and fight at 78. If he has had it, it would be close, but pushing it.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:01 PM

i cant believe all you dudes are hating on serra. he may have a thick accent and [censored], but he's a totally nice guy. remember the comeback season where he went out of his way to coach and help his teamates train? they were his opponents, you realize?

and as far as the person who says he "knows people who know both" and "hughes is very respected", i find that interesting because i've never heard anyone ever say a nice thing about matt hughes' person, and he's never come off as anything but a douchebag in the media. examples

1) bible study. if he pulled that [censored] on me i would have walked out. but then again, somedays i can barely motivate myself to turn on the computer and make 3x what these guys make for getting punched in the face.

2) in an interview before fighting george st. pierre he stated all canadians were cowards for not backing the US in the current "war"

3) he mocked george stpierre for not wanting to look at him/talk to him before their fight on an ultimate fighter season

4) he has a twin so if he is struck by lightning and dies we still have to put up with a carbon copy
Closed Thread