Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Thinking of getting a kitten.

Serious question for the anti-declawing crowd...

Aside from the fact that any pain from the procedure is very temporary...I assume you would all have your cats spayed or neutered? What's so different about cutting a cat's balls off? I'd much rather have my balls than my claws...well, if I were a cat at least...

(Note - I've never had a cat, but my GF's family has 3, so I'm learning. I'm a dog guy myself.)
Old 10-04-2007, 03:14 AM

When should we maim animals? Spaying/neutering has some legitimate rationale behind it. Saving our precious furniture, less so.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When should we maim animals? Spaying/neutering has some legitimate rationale behind it. Saving our precious furniture, less so.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, there's the rub. When it fits a purpose you deem fit, you call it legitimate. When its something you don't think is as necessary, you call it maiming.

It would seem to me that anybody who would take the moral stance against declawing logically should follow that further and refuse to get their cat fixed. I don't see that happening though. It would seem to me that if it keeps my furniture from getting destroyed and doesn't harm the animal long-term, its really a win-win, isn't it?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cats are actually a big reflection upon their owners, much like children.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft
Old 10-04-2007, 03:38 AM

Do you have little old ladies for neighbours? If so, keep him inside.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cats are actually a big reflection upon their owners, much like children.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft

[/ QUOTE ]

What does having a cat that does friggen nothing but lay on the couch across from me all day sleeping say about me?

edge,

I'm pretty much with you on the declawing thing, even though the cat I have right now isn't declawed or have his GIGANTIC balls cut off. I didn't ever have him as a kitty though, so I didn't have a choice.

OP,

kittens are awesome, and I would def get two if I were going to start from scratch.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:12 AM

definitely get a kitten. they are awesome, and the people who say "oh well they turn into cats!" probably just don't like fun. if you raise it well from a young age, it will behave the way you want, and will be an amazing companion.

I adopted mine from an organization that shelters its cats in individual volunteer homes rather than shelters (until somebody permanently adopts them). As a result, she is incredibly sweet and friendly to everyone (other cats too!). Even people who don't like cats have said that they love her. Chicks dig her too, though that isn't really why I got her.

I'd agree that getting 2 is a good idea, unless you can hang out with one all day because you work from home or something. They'll keep each other company, which is definitely necessary to keep them happy. Its also really no additional effort to have two as opposed to one, except when transporting them I guess, but you shouldn't have to do that very often.

Another nice feature is that you can stop using alarm clocks, because they'll wake you up to play/feed them in the mornings, and kitten alarms are wayyyyy better than noisy buzzer or radio alarms.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:43 AM

There's no longer any sane reason to torture cats with claw removal since they have claw covers.

Note that laziness to the extent that you bring great suffering to another creature doesn't qualify as a sane reason.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Serious question for the anti-declawing crowd...

Aside from the fact that any pain from the procedure is very temporary...I assume you would all have your cats spayed or neutered? What's so different about cutting a cat's balls off? I'd much rather have my balls than my claws...well, if I were a cat at least...

(Note - I've never had a cat, but my GF's family has 3, so I'm learning. I'm a dog guy myself.)

[/ QUOTE ]

People get themselves "fixed." I can't recall ever hearing of a person having their fingernails removed. Which sounds worse to you?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
letting it roam free outside, is far more unethical than declawing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this some kind of thing where you're trying to convince yourself that it isn't cruel to keep your cat indoors? Are you succeeding?