Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (10/2 - Day 6)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think we need to focus some more on Tran's bustout hand than on Scotty's meltdown. Tran seems to be getting a walk because of the way that Scotty went out. I don't have all the details of Tran's last hand right now so if someone could put it up here so we can dissect...

[/ QUOTE ]

tran has Q 10, Kalmer has A 8 of clubs. Not sure of preflop action but Tran has position. flop comes somethingn like 10 6 3 with two clubs. Kalmer check calls a 1/2-2/3 pot bet. turn is offsuit and gives Kalmer a guttie. maybe a 9. Kalmer check calls 2/3 pot. From the video it looks like Kalmer is check calling rather quickly. River is a 2 of clubs and Kalmer moves in for about a pot size bet. maybe a little more than pot, not positive. Tran puts him on 77 or 88 (he's talking out loud) before he calls. Also, from the video it looks like Kalmer goes all in on river rather quickly.

edit - i only watched it once and this is from memory. so if i got anything wrong, please correct me.

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN's editing didn't do justice to what actually happened.

Kenny Tran agonized for over 5 minutes before someone at the table called the clock.

Just as the floorman was counting down to ONE, Kenny Tran said "I call."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea ESPN's editing can really make a difference in these things, when they try to sell you a story..

Notice how they started saying Scotty doesnt have to get involved right after his double up even though he was playing pretty much the same way as before..
That is until his AQ all in ofcourse.. even then Norm said something like Scotty can coast to the final table here and he doesnt have to play this hand as if he is supposed to fold Aq pre in the sb to no raise..

They wanted to show how Scotty blew up and started preparing for it like 5 hands prior when only that one hand would have sent the message.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 PM

You'd almost think they knew what was going to happen before making their comments.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:26 PM

You gotta admit though, Yang using his crazy aggression will be fun to watch at the final table though.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd almost think they knew what was going to happen before making their comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm interesting theory....
Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and lol @ Rahme calling with 8-8 on a A-Q-9-7-7 board.

This is why I stopped saying "good call" to calling stations in live games....they're confused because they think it's the easiest call in the world with 2nd or 3rd pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's exactly why I keep saying "good call" to those players.

[/ QUOTE ]

You want them to think about how it might not be an easy call?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I misread your comment.

Still, reinforcing someone's belief in own intelligence being far superior is one of the nastier things you can do to keep the fish happy and playing bad. Almost everyone learns not to be a terrible calling station, you just have to at NL or you'll go broke way too quickly. On the other hand, people can delude themselves about their intelligence for the rest of their lives.

If the call is obvious to fish, and everyone commends on him great play, then the fish will think he's supremely talented, and great plays are obvious to him.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:50 PM

The Scotty Nguyenusow blowup
Old 10-03-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think we need to focus some more on Tran's bustout hand than on Scotty's meltdown. Tran seems to be getting a walk because of the way that Scotty went out. I don't have all the details of Tran's last hand right now so if someone could put it up here so we can dissect...

[/ QUOTE ]

tran has Q 10, Kalmer has A 8 of clubs. Not sure of preflop action but Tran has position. flop comes somethingn like 10 6 3 with two clubs. Kalmer check calls a 1/2-2/3 pot bet. turn is offsuit and gives Kalmer a guttie. maybe a 9. Kalmer check calls 2/3 pot. From the video it looks like Kalmer is check calling rather quickly. River is a 2 of clubs and Kalmer moves in for about a pot size bet. maybe a little more than pot, not positive. Tran puts him on 77 or 88 (he's talking out loud) before he calls. Also, from the video it looks like Kalmer goes all in on river rather quickly.

edit - i only watched it once and this is from memory. so if i got anything wrong, please correct me.

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN's editing didn't do justice to what actually happened.

Kenny Tran agonized for over 5 minutes before someone at the table called the clock.

Just as the floorman was counting down to ONE, Kenny Tran said "I call."

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay for ESPN to edit out some of the boring thinking time. This is a highlight. The announcers should comment that after 5 minutes the clock was called. Just present the events accurately.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's okay for ESPN to edit out some of the boring thinking time. This is a highlight. The announcers should comment that after 5 minutes the clock was called. Just present the events accurately.

[/ QUOTE ]
What, just edit it out, no cut to splitscreen with flashy graphics and techno music? ...Oh, sorry, I'm thinking of the wrong broadcast.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
While it sounds sensible, it would ruin the flow of the broadcast.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:02 AM

Wow. From what I saw in these two episodes, Yang is CRAZY aggressive. Absolutely fearless bluffing. I don't know why everybody is saying he wins all the flips either - he lost quite a few pots on this show, and went into the FT in what, 8th place? Then proceeded to steamroll the whole table showing down not too many hands. I have a feeling the FT episodes are going to be the Jerry Yang Bluff-fest. It should be pretty fun to watch.