Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Turn straight in 3bet pot, river brings flush

Only have 60 or so hands on villain, but he has been very aggressive so far and is running at 34/24. Just decided to mix it up preflop and 3bet him. On the flop I didn't want to get c/raised off my draw and figured I could still make a play on the turn if I wanted.

I could have raised the turn but that looks like such a strong play and I think I force him off all but the top of his range. By just cold calling my hand looks weak and he can fire another barrel with a bluff on the river or he's likely to call a big bet on the river with any made hand since my line would look pretty strange betting the river. Unfortunately the flush hit and now I'm faced with a decision. His line does look a lot like a flush, but it also could be a bluff/maybe a set?

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">MP ($294)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($228.60)</font>
Button ($138.90)
SB ($216.25)
BB ($81.65)
UTG ($214.20)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $24</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP calls $17.

Flop: ($51) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($51) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $40</font>, Hero calls $40.

River: ($131) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $131</font>, Hero??
Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Turn straight in 3bet pot, river brings flush

Ugh, I think you played this terribly on all 3 streets so far. Why are you 3-betting a 34/24 with 87o? And if you're going to 3-bet it, why aren't you firing this flop? And for the love of God, if you're going to play PF/flop like this, RAISE the turn. As played, shove river given reads.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Turn straight in 3bet pot, river brings flush

as played? push. he has a set or any king here a majority of the time. As far as his line looking like a flush, you really have no idea what it is. His check on the flop is either a) intending to check raise a set, b) intent to give up his jacks, or c)a flush draw. check/check isn't the worst option here, but you've gotta raise the turn. Villain will never ever put you on a straight here. I'd raise to $115, still gives flush a chance to call and chase despite odds. Anything he calls with will be hard for him to fold to the last $70 on the river (obv other than the busted flush) with a 280 pot. If he can think at all he'll take AA out of your range on the flop (due to you not giving the flush a free chase) which gives him a chance to call with AK (maybe), any set, and any two pair here. While a raise on the turn is definitely a show of strength, the pot's already decent and villain will call turn/river bets with so many hands that a turn raise is necessary.

EDIT: I guess he could play AK like this on the flop, but I never would see a reason for it