Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who starts?
Cadillac Williams (Bal) 26 70.27%
Willis McGahee (at NE) 11 29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Will computers dominate poker as they did with chess?

Lots of people accused Kasparov of a scam. Most probably he was paid to lose the game. Same as Kramnik when he lost in one move. And it was for the first time in his career. Chess computers are really strong, its counting is extraordinary. In poker computers have much less chances. I can agree poker computers will count much better. It can also be more stable, play without emotions.
Watching poker, playing poker I have never seen or even heard of poker computers taking part in live tournaments like in chess is.
I think that beating the best poker players will be possible when computers will start reading emotions and thoughts perfectly.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Will computers dominate poker as they did with chess?

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of people accused Kasparov of a scam. Most probably he was paid to lose the game. Same as Kramnik when he lost in one move. And it was for the first time in his career. Chess computers are really strong, its counting is extraordinary. In poker computers have much less chances. I can agree poker computers will count much better. It can also be more stable, play without emotions.
Watching poker, playing poker I have never seen or even heard of poker computers taking part in live tournaments like in chess is.
I think that beating the best poker players will be possible when computers will start reading emotions and thoughts perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the reason you've never seen a pokerbot play in a live real money tournament is because it just happened for the first time ever last week:

2007 PBWC RESULTS

For those of you who don't agree that it was the first time:

The Golden Palace event in 2005 doesn't count because there were no real money entry fees paid by either the botters or by Layne Flack (i.e. gambling was not involved) and the initial rounds did not include human players.

The UofA duplicate poker event earlier this year doesn't count for the same reasons (i.e. gambling was not involved) and the event was not open to the public. It had very little to do with real world real money conditions. The event would have been much more significant to me if the UofA would have simply used their $50k budget as $1k prop bets against any and all opponents (human or bot) for some fixed number of hands. I'm less interested in the sterile lab like conditions.

It is not real poker unless financial losers are created.

RIIT