Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Does anyone else feel like this?

I've been playing NLHE for about one and a half years now and when I recently went back over my results I found something very strange.
In the first six months, when I knew nothing about position, pot odds, startind hands etc I won six live tourneys. In the past year, after buying nearly every poker book on the market and reading forums, I have won two.
When I first started playing ring games online I had more big wins (but also more big losses.)

So, where does this leave us.

As one of the previous posts said it is not about reading the books but studying them and putting the theory into practice.
Before I was playing cards. Now I am (attempting) to play NLHE.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:55 AM

The single most important thing you can do in my opinion is study the hands where you lose money. To me, that's worth more than every poker book i've ever read. It is boring and not nearly as much fun as reviewing the hands where you win, but it works

I can't beleive some of the plays i've made, and it sticks with you once you've seen it more subjectively. You find yourself remembering the bad move on paper the next time you are presented with a similair situation in game.

Just my $.02.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:39 AM

I think the problem may be that when we play everything we learned goes out the window (sometimes) and we just play in our natural style. But this is coming from a newbie lol [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2007, 02:23 PM

I think janelle hit one of my first problems on the head. I am a naturally aggressive player and have to learn to be much tighter, especially in earlier position.

My results were pretty bad at first as I struggled to blend my tendencies with the new approach. But I found by reviewing my hand histrories immediately after a session and recording the 2-3 largest leaks I observed, I have a good set of notes for a quick review prior to my next session. Ax UTG = Death, quit C-Betting Turn to LAG w/Possble Nuts, etc. lol

It has helped me continue focus on remaining tight early, not overly protecting my blinds, limiting losses on TP2K, maintaining my Cbets, limiting my continuation bets on the Turn (bad leak for me)., etc.

Long way to go, but moving down the right path.

From an old training class I had, "Focus on what you can control, not the results. Improve your actions and the results will follow."

Another newbies input. lol
Old 10-02-2007, 06:23 PM

i feel like i am improving everyday and my game is getting better from reading 2+2 everyday but im still not winning consistently. its really frustrating. I win a bit, only to lose it. ive only recently got pokertracker so i dont have enough stats to draw any real conclusions, i look over the hands i lost big on and figure out what i did wrong but trying to figure out major holes in my game with so few stats is pretty hard, but playing another 10k hands of losing poker to figure out what im doing wrong isnt very appealing really.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think janelle hit one of my first problems on the head. I am a naturally aggressive player and have to learn to be much tighter, especially in earlier position.

My results were pretty bad at first as I struggled to blend my tendencies with the new approach. But I found by reviewing my hand histrories immediately after a session and recording the 2-3 largest leaks I observed, I have a good set of notes for a quick review prior to my next session. Ax UTG = Death, quit C-Betting Turn to LAG w/Possble Nuts, etc. lol

It has helped me continue focus on remaining tight early, not overly protecting my blinds, limiting losses on TP2K, maintaining my Cbets, limiting my continuation bets on the Turn (bad leak for me)., etc.

Long way to go, but moving down the right path.

From an old training class I had, "Focus on what you can control, not the results. Improve your actions and the results will follow."

Another newbies input. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like what I do. During sessions I note down hands that I play badly or have trouble with so I can post or review them after the session. I then post hands here on 2+2 and ask for advice, and note down how I played the hands incorrectly. C-betting turn and river with A high, not being aware of position, etc.

Then when I start a new session I have the list of leaks in front of me and it really helps me avoid making the same mistakes over and over which can save a lot of money.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:34 PM

Great advice from my newb peers (not you slave). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-I should stick with SnG, focus on what I'm good at, and build up my BR that way. Why did I ever leave SnGs if I was winning at it? When my BR is bigger, I can play cash games again...

-They say the best way to learn something is to have to teach it to someone else. Hitsurume, you made me realize that I am good at giving poker advice, just not following my own advice in the game. But it would benefit me to hear some outside opinions. Mind if I sit in on some of your games? Or you can sit in on mine...

-Experience is way more valuable than reading

-The little plastic thing you strike with is called a plectrum.

-I need pokertracker so I can figure out my leaks

I'm learning that you won't make much of profit at poker unless you are an excellent player. I mean, really good... one-in-a-thousand. There are many decent players who break even or lose money, simply because of one or two major leaks. I probably fit here, at a noob level.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:22 PM

From my own experience, when I first started out, I was doing fairly well playing the micro limit SnG's. As I learned more from playing and reading, I found myself doing worse for some reason.

It took me a while, but I figured out that my style had changed. I started as a rock (tight/passive), which worked quite well at the micro stakes, since almost everyone there was very loose/aggressive. My monster hands would always get paid off, even if I folded 40 hands straight.

As I learned more, and was able to read players better, I developed into a tight/aggressive player. What was happening to me was that I was trying to be tricky, like slowplaying a flopped set, and then getting my money in the middle on the river, only to get killed when the river hit my opponent with the straight/flush.

Basically, I figured I was attributing the same level of skill to my opponents that I had, and was playing them all wrong.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:59 PM

Hey rrrorrim,

I'm always up to talk and chat about Poker if you or anyone else is interested: AIM = Hitsurume

I play 10NL 6max on FTP and am slowly moving up to 25Nl.

And I definitely agree that you only REALLY know something when you can properly teach it to someone else
Old 10-10-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, I figured I was attributing the same level of skill to my opponents that I had, and was playing them all wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You put it perfectly.

There's an added benefit to ultra tight play in (single table) SnGs: you have a shot at getting in the money by just being patient. The two benefits combined make ultra tight play a profitable strategy.

Throw in three well-timed plays and you've got $3000, which is more than enough to get in the $$ in most single table SnGs.