Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: NL100 c/r\'d on flop with TPTK

I think he played the hand perfectly, and I don't normally like felting a,k in that situation.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:19 AM

yeah i thought he played it quite well, i think in future i will lean towards folding, i need to stop felting with TPTK.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's got lots of outs and presumably fold equity against you, not bad IMO...especially if he knows you are capable of laying down tp/tk in situation like this its a good move

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are folding AK here, he can profitably raise any2
Old 10-03-2007, 11:33 AM

I don't get why calling is so bad. We're a little deep here and we're in position so this gives us a chance to get the same result (all the money in) on the turn after we see if the flush or straights miss -- along with how he reacts.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks guys, i actually pushed here, villain called with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] do you think he played that hand well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than preflop I do.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get why calling is so bad. We're a little deep here and we're in position so this gives us a chance to get the same result (all the money in) on the turn after we see if the flush or straights miss -- along with how he reacts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the villains range is draws or two-pair or better in a spot like this. If the villain will also start doing this with top-pair I think it becomes ok to call if he is the type that will stack off on a bluff here. However, most villains won't do just that so when you get AI it will be -EV. If you call this bet you are going to be one bet away from AI so you have to make that decision now.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:10 PM

Calling leaves us with effective stacks of $92 and a pot of $66 going into the turn with position. I think this still gives us room to fold here if the turn is a heart and he shoves since we very well could have been on the flush draw with that play as well.

This is a situation that looks like we can get all in if we want to and we have the choice to do it on the flop or the turn. With what appears to be very little fold equity, I don't see the problem with waiting for the turn to maximize our EV against draws.

Maybe I'm missing something?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's got lots of outs and presumably fold equity against you, not bad IMO...especially if he knows you are capable of laying down tp/tk in situation like this its a good move

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are folding AK here, he can profitably raise any2

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, you can't just fold top pair in spots like this. Otherwise you become extremely exploitable.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling leaves us with effective stacks of $92 and a pot of $66 going into the turn with position. I think this still gives us room to fold here if the turn is a heart and he shoves since we very well could have been on the flush draw with that play as well.

This is a situation that looks like we can get all in if we want to and we have the choice to do it on the flop or the turn. With what appears to be very little fold equity, I don't see the problem with waiting for the turn to maximize our EV against draws.

Maybe I'm missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he pushes right in on the turn then you are getting ~1.7:1 on call. You only have to be good 37% of the time. That starts making it a tough one to fold. Even if you do fold then you are folding in large pots so it sets you up for bluffs and things like that.

Against an aggressive player you have to be careful about putting a good chunk of your stack in and then folding to further action. Sure, the turn is easier to fold if a flush card comes but that could be a bluff as well.

You see that calling here sets us up to make BIG mistakes later if we aren't careful.