Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Endurance Prop Bets (Pool & Ocean) in Turks & Caicos

The water was 83 in the Turks. It isn't possible to equate body heat loss with regard to air exposure vs. water exposure, because water is so much denser than air that you lose body heat over 8 times faster.

Also, there is constantly enough current to cause my body to be exposed to "new" water every second or so, and not water heated by my body.

Clinical hypothermia begins at 95F or 35C. This will cause mildly impaired judgement.

Moderate hypothermia begins when the core temperature falls below 35°C and results in violent shivering and a loss in muscular coordination. The most dangerous of all at this stage is perhaps the loss of ability to make rational decisions.

Below 32°C (89.6°F) shivering stops as there is no energy left to keep it going, this causes the temperature to drop even further and more rapidly. The victim eventually unable to walk will curl up on the ground (or, in my case, the water and drown) completely unaware of others... unconsciousness comes at around 30°C (86°F).

At a core temperature of around 28°C (82.4°F) heartbeat irregularities may occur - called cardiac arrhythmias - this can lead to an uncoordinated twitching of the heart muscle preventing it from pumping blood properly and so resulting in death.

I expect to be into stage 3 hypothermia (Core body temp of 86-87F, but possibly as low as 84-85F) by the end of 24 hours and and preparing myself for this trauma as we speak. While I don't think I will die, I am updating my, errr, documents if it happens.

You guys still think this sounds easy???

One more thing: This is not about the money - it is about the challenge of achieving the (nearly) impossible. Also, in my book, you never back out of a bet you've agreed to, regardless of the risks. Honor and integrity are paramount. The money is..... a reason not to quit. It's really a 200K pot [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2007, 06:43 AM

I tried PMing the person who was doing this but he's obviously too busy golfing. Could someone tell me about the saltine cracker bet. It was something like you can't eat 5 crackers in one minute w/o drinking anything.

maybe PM it to me
thanks and sorry for the jack
Old 10-03-2007, 07:26 AM

I'm sure Sean will have a safety diver (well person) so he's not actually going to drown if / when he passes out. With halfway decent medical care he'll survive. Hypothermia is very dangerous but only if left untreated to the point of no return.

That said, this will be very difficult and unpleasant for him and based on what I've heard about the conditions.

The water is cold enough that losing body heat will become an issue (without knowing what Sean's body fat and fitness are like I wouldn't like to say how much).
Old 10-03-2007, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet 1 seems like printing money for Hazards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-03-2007, 12:06 PM

If it was anybody but Sean, I'd suggest putting a stop to all this. (Yes, this is coming from the person who started the thread, but I'm much more aware of the dangers now than I was then.) I know Sean, and I'm aware of his qualifications. I still don't know if he'll succeed, and if was forced to bet, I'd probably take the "don't pass." The 12-hour pool bet struck me as easy (If I had $15K, I might have taken the bet myself), but this strikes me as extremely difficult under the best possible circumstances.

If this actually goes down, I'll be sorry not to be in Aruba to witness it. (My next stop is the WPT event in Barcelona, Spain, followed by Niagara Falls.) Regardless of who wins and who loses, I hope Sean gets through this safely and with nothing but short-term consequences. (He mentioned that it would put him on bed rest for a week.) Just make sure someone on shore frequently checks his condition (with nothing but Sean's safety at stake), and that a suitably trained medical professional is (at the very, very least) standing by and on call.

Sean, I'm not sure if there will be enough time for you to properly recuperate for the WPT Barcelona event, but if you can't make it there, I expect to see you in Niagara Falls!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 PM

"The 12-hour pool bet struck me as easy"

ya think?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when i was in aruba last year the water was amazingly warm

[/ QUOTE ]

i have heard this so many times in my life :

'how was your trip?'
'amazing, god, the sea was so warm'

yet somehow i have never ever been in water that could ever be described as even close to warm. yes i have been to the caribbean.

what gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol same here.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this actually goes down, I'll be sorry not to be in Aruba to witness it.

[/ QUOTE ]

May not end up being in Aruba, Sean is a little tied up at the moment.

Wherever we end up, he'll be well looked after-- the doctor(s) will have the final word on pulling him out of the water for health reasons, much like a referee in a boxing match.

We're going to try to put together a bet over the next couple days. I'll get in touch with Matusow, Seif and Markholt to see what they're in for.

If anyone has interest in betting against, PM me or post here. (minimum $5k please) It's not a commitment (yet) but I want to see how close we are.

I'm a huge prop nit, so everything will be spelled out at length before all parties post. And we'll need to agree on someone to escrow funds and arbitrate disputes.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If this actually goes down, I'll be sorry not to be in Aruba to witness it.

[/ QUOTE ]

May not end up being in Aruba, Sean is a little tied up at the moment.

Wherever we end up, he'll be well looked after-- the doctor(s) will have the final word on pulling him out of the water for health reasons, much like a referee in a boxing match.

We're going to try to put together a bet over the next couple days. I'll get in touch with Matusow, Seif and Markholt to see what they're in for.

If anyone has interest in betting against, PM me or post here. (minimum $5k please) It's not a commitment (yet) but I want to see how close we are.

I'm a huge prop nit, so everything will be spelled out at length before all parties post. And we'll need to agree on someone to escrow funds and arbitrate disputes.

[/ QUOTE ]

fight for a location with chilly water and rough surf. obv, you know this, but i don't think aruba is a great location.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The water was 83 in the Turks. It isn't possible to equate body heat loss with regard to air exposure vs. water exposure, because water is so much denser than air that you lose body heat over 8 times faster.

Also, there is constantly enough current to cause my body to be exposed to "new" water every second or so, and not water heated by my body.

Clinical hypothermia begins at 95F or 35C. This will cause mildly impaired judgement.

[/ QUOTE ]

not exactly true. there's gotta be a stasis point for water, even if it's 90 degrees. good point about currents though. from my personal experience in the summer deserts, a swimming pool > 90 degrees will actually heat you up, or at least it won't cool you down.

if I lived in florida or wherever I would do it with you, it really doesn't sound that hard, although I've got some fat on me which would help.

maybe the main thing is whether your body is used to producing heat (you live in a cool climate), or whether your body is used to dumping heat and cooling itself(desert).

I mean we've all had relatives from back east visit southern california in winter and we go to a high school football game or soemting and everybody has jackets and stuff on except for them, they have just tshirt on and it's freezing, in teh 50's, lol.