Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 04:37 AM

Default Overlimping frequently in loose-passive games/ optimal ???

As of late, I have notice the NL100 games ive been playing in extraordinarly passive, with many unraised pots w/ 6+ seeing a flop. My strategy has consisted of limping behind all these limpers with all kinds of holdings, mainly suited connectors, suited gappers, and small-medium PP's. My question: Is this a correct adjustment to be making? Very rarely does the pot get raised behind me when i do this, therefore making them, IMO, reasonable calls. However, I'm wondering if raising the marginal holdings (89s, J9s, 22+ 88)would be better all around or just something to incorporate every once in a while in position. It appears to be low variance/low risk-high reward calling in the situations, however PT stats during these sessions would imply that i am an ultra-fish, as at first glance it would appear that i am playing way too many hands and not raising enough. I'm not the type to get hung up on stats (or am I?), just trying to get some different perspective. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Overlimping frequently in loose-passive games/ optimal ???

raise your suited connectors and pairs, but watch out for your big unsuited cards, i dont mind overlimping personally especially if they ll stack off light so you can take them to town on trips vs top pair hands
Old 10-03-2007, 08:04 AM

perhaps then it's better to limp behind w/ KJo type hands than 89s or 55?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't. Even when you hit, you get little more than the pot a lot, and if people stick around, reverse implied odds is often gonna bite you. Unless you're looking to checkraise solid big hands from early, it's never ever a good idea to limp with big cards.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:13 AM

Few Scenarios:
Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 AM

sorry i was going to do a poll thing but im a dumbass.

diebitter with 4 limps to you in MP are you raising KJo, Q10o, etc...? I know from reading aroung here you run like 40/14 or something...meaning you play well postflop presumably.. im curious to know how you play these type hands
thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 08:19 AM

Also, I played about 5K hands this way about a month back - I was trying to figure out the use of a strategy that always gives you a good SPR at the flop - and this strategy is pretty much limp EVERYTHING playable (that is PP/54s/64s/Axs, and in late suited tens and above), and if you get raised, reraise AA-QQ,AK to get a good SPR, or call where you have good odds (>1/12 for PP, >1/15 for the rest).

It was okay and a small winning, low-risk strategy, but your stats look like crap.

But who cares, right?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the stack sizes, the expected number of callers, and how large of a raise they will call. For example, if you have 100BB stacks, you get 4 limpers to you with KJo and you can raise to 10BB and still get a wide calling range by 1 or 2 players then doing that is better. If you raise to 6 or 7BB and expect to get 1 or 2 callers then I like limping better unless they are the type that fold nearly every flop. At that point you are just stealing.

To me, it really depends on what size range they will call large raises with preflop and how they play postflop. If they are tend to call too much I would just limp behind with 98s and 55 type hands and take my huge implied odds.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry i was going to do a poll thing but im a dumbass.

diebitter with 4 limps to you in MP are you raising KJo, Q10o, etc...? I know from reading aroung here you run like 40/14 or something...meaning you play well postflop presumably.. im curious to know how you play these type hands
thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I play from 40/16 down to 5/5, depending on how new I am to table, lay of table, time of day, level (40/14 at nl50 and below is not profitable, for example) etc.

In this spot I raise or fold, I'd not limp those hands hardly ever. Usually I'd fold. If there's poor calling stations likely to stick around, I raise to isolate.