Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Unionized dealers at Foxwoods?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
diano ross fan, I believe the rake is $5 per half hour? At hte 1/2 game anyway. A dollar difference but it is a difference.
In the past 6 months they installed these red overhead lights that come on when time is owed. One time I was playing and it didnt go off for 90 min but every other time it's been like clockwork.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats odd, usually time is collected at the start of the dealer down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe a light collection system is older than collecting at the middle of the down. The only problem with a light is the dealer has to watch for it. It should be timed to come on half way through the down and stay on for a set amount of time. Anyone that sat down after the dealer arrived doesn't owe, everyone else does owe (no shots about a player sitting there claiming he was "new"). Anyone that says they are leaving has to be gone before the light goes out or they owe. The last time I dealt with this was 2002, but I think I am remembering it right.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

On a side note there is a very strong rumor that poker dealers will start keeping their own tokes starting in January. I read alot on here about how everyone says Foxwoods dealers suck so this may help that situation somewhat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite a number of years ago(12 or so) i was emailed by a woman who was a poker dealer at foxwoods...she asked me my thoughts on "keeping your own" as this issue was coming up for a vote by the dealers, she wanted to be able to convince others this would be a good idea.
The eventuality is that "keep your own" was defeated , by the dealer vote then, and at least one other time since.( as i understand it)

Is this going to a voted on issue? By whom?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly it was shot down 12 years ago by the dealers voting against it.

We did have a vote about 3 yrs ago. All dealers and dual rates were eligible to vote. I believe the actual # people that voted was about half and I Dont know why others didnt vote. There were other issues we were voting on as well at the time so it took about 5 min. Dealers were either lazy and didnt want to take the quick time to vote or some just didnt care.

Well when votes we were told it was about 80-20 in favor of poker dealers keeping their own but management came back in with the excuse that there were errors in software and the vote was thrown out and we havent been able to vote since. Strong speculation at that time from dealers on our toke comittee was that both the pit and poker dealers would be making a decent amount more then they are now. When management realized this would happen then they would have to pay floors more otherwise they wouldnt have any as most would have went back to dealing full time. Key to this being Foxwoods floors are some of the lowest paid in the country.

Since then management has shot it down everytime someone raised up the issue to bring back a vote. That amongst a ton of other issues is why you hear all this union talk.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly it was shot down 12 years ago by the dealers voting against it.

We did have a vote about 3 yrs ago. All dealers and dual rates were eligible to vote. I believe the actual # people that voted was about half and I Dont know why others didnt vote. There were other issues we were voting on as well at the time so it took about 5 min. Dealers were either lazy and didnt want to take the quick time to vote or some just didnt care.

Well when votes we were told it was about 80-20 in favor of poker dealers keeping their own but management came back in with the excuse that there were errors in software and the vote was thrown out and we havent been able to vote since. Strong speculation at that time from dealers on our toke comittee was that both the pit and poker dealers would be making a decent amount more then they are now. When management realized this would happen then they would have to pay floors more otherwise they wouldnt have any as most would have went back to dealing full time. Key to this being Foxwoods floors are some of the lowest paid in the country.

Since then management has shot it down everytime someone raised up the issue to bring back a vote. That amongst a ton of other issues is why you hear all this union talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's interesting to know. do the floormen share equally in the tips now?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:24 PM

I've been told by a dealer/floor that there is no raise when you become a floor. They make the same. If it's true, I think that's pretty stupid.

As far as the lights, I'm pretty sure they are supposed to come on at the half hour marks and stay on for ten minutes. Anyone that comes to the table after they go out doesn't have to pay time. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be able to sync up the light with the clocks, and they are switching off and on all over the place.

Because of this, the dealers are mostly ignoring them and collecting at the beginning of each down. They definitely don't switch more often than 30 minutes unless someone is going on break, in which case the new dealer obviously doesn't collect time.

It all works out exactly the same in the end. I really don't care how they do it, unless I'm the guy coming to the table at 3:49 and being forced to pay time for 3:30 because the floor hasn't said to drop it yet.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:29 AM

The dealers were supposed to vote a couple of weeks ago for or against the separation of the poker dealers and table game dealers. It was supposed to happen during the toke committee elections, and if passed, scheduled to start Dec.23. As far as I can see the vote never happened.

Paulie
Old 10-03-2007, 12:40 AM

I saw the light system somewhere but not sure where. It might have been in the original poker room at Turning Stone.