Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: The bible

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How dast ye question the pure motives of the godlike science community?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not questioning their motives. Whether the scientific community is dastardly or sincere is irrelevant to my point. What is relevant is that there is a disdain for anything smacking of tolerance for ID.

[/ QUOTE ]

or Alchemy, witchcraft, etc.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]
ID is far worse because it has the backing of an breathtakingly dishonest political movement trying to impose its views on others, in particular to disupt educating people.

No-one would care if they just wanted to mumble to themselves or have silly columns in tabloid newspapers.

chez
Old 10-02-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How dast ye question the pure motives of the godlike science community?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not questioning their motives. Whether the scientific community is dastardly or sincere is irrelevant to my point. What is relevant is that there is a disdain for anything smacking of tolerance for ID.

[/ QUOTE ]

The scientific community also has disdain for astrology and alchemy, and any scientist who assigns those ideas scientific validity will be similarly discredited. What do you expect them to do in response to pseudo-science?

ID is different only in that there is a political movement to get it passed off as science in public schools.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ID is far worse because it has the backing of an breathtakingly dishonest political movement trying to impose its views on others, in particular to disupt educating people.

[/ QUOTE ]

So does global warming denial, but a consequence of this may be incommensurate and kneejerk backlash.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you expect them to do in response to pseudo-science?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not surprising that everyone would assume that I'm criticizing the scientists. Reread for context.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So does global warming denial, but a consequence of this may be incommensurate and kneejerk backlash.

[/ QUOTE ]
True there may sometimes be an over-reaction but a reaction is both understandable and desirable.

chez
Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What do you expect them to do in response to pseudo-science?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not surprising that everyone would assume that I'm criticizing the scientists. Reread for context.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And this Distain? it's freefloating, or exists in the heads of who/what? I admit, I thought somebody was expressing it... likely the scientists who may or may be dastardly or sincere.
whodja have in mind?

luckyme
Old 10-02-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whodja have in mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

The scientists -- with whom I agree. Since I think they are right, it should be clear that I'm not criticizing their position.

My original response in this thread is only incidentally related to the issue itself, in that David is wrong if he thinks that there are legions of eminent scientists whose credibility would remain untarnished if they were to espouse some version of ID. My post was about the handicapping, not the science.

The important truth is that while it is generally correct to regard a consensus among brilliant experts as a favorite to be true, this is a less reliable predictor if the minority of brilliant experts are promoting a politically unfavorable idea.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:28 PM

NR,

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So any answer is better than no answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But no answer totally destroys everything human. And if there is a correct answer science can't provide it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain that last part, again, to me?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:41 PM

Can you explain that last part, again, for me?

link
Old 10-02-2007, 11:38 PM

I believe we've found the missing link.