Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Does anyone else feel like this?

There is a big difference in reading books and articles and really studying them. I think most people don't apply what they learn. Most of us just read and think: hey, that's cool! And then we play our ordinary game...

Someone said practicing does not make perfect, it makes permanent. Or at least something like that.

I think you like many of us plays a lot, and pick up habits and a style of play that isn't optimal, and then it's much harder to change the way we are playing. I used to play electric guitar when I was younger. For some reason i didn't hold my hands correctly and I didn't hold the "little plastic thing you strike the strings with" right. (Someone please with english as native language can tell me what that thing is called :-) I couldn't play as fast as I should, and I got an ache in my hands after a long playing session.

It took me a lot of effort before I could unlearn that habit and then my guitar playing improved significantly! But I wished I wouldn't have learnt it wrong in the first place. Maybe this is a bad example, but I think this applies very much to all poker players that want to improve. Play a little, learn a lot and apply the correct thinking and then practice to make the right decisions permanent. Then you will become a winner...