Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How long would it take for OOT to cause your demise?
Less than 24 hours 1 1.23%
>1 day, < 1 month 4 4.94%
>1 month, < 1 year 7 8.64%
Never, my life is not interesting enough for anyone to care that much 69 85.19%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: ***Official 2007 Philadelphia Phillies Thread***

I like all those moves about the same. I was very happy when Iguchi and Lohse were added, wish Iguchi played more though.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:49 PM

This was incredible. I've lived in Philly all my life and this was one of the best feelings in my 22 year life. I've never seen a championship in this city and this was just amazing. Almost as incredible as the Eagles Super Bowl trip a few years ago.

As far as the playoffs I obviously wish we had a little more pop at third base and another lefty in the bullpen.

The third place shuffle might be able to get it done but the lack of a fourth bullpen option could hurt us. Romero, Myers, and Gordon have been really overworked.

We also don't know how Kendrick will react to his first playoff start, and Hamels for that reason.

We need clutch efforts from Burrell and Howard, who have been up and down. I expect J Rol and Chase to continue to be on fire.

Hope Ruiz is 100% too, I think he is.

I think a big key might be how Kyle Lohse does out of the pen because I think he might have to be counted on in games that go deep.

I have no faith in Alfonseca, Rosario, or Mesa if games go into extra innings and the big three in the bullpen have been used.

This is where a trade deadline move or a move in general in the offseason (Joe Borowski anyone) would have been clutch.

But I can't be negative this was an incredible stretch and I'm so pumped for the postseason.

1993 seems like 80 years ago.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is where a trade deadline move or a move in general in the offseason (Joe Borowski anyone) would have been clutch.

[/ QUOTE ]
rotfl, yes we really need another below average pitcher.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:47 PM

Pen had 2 days off, a 3-game series where they didn't pitch every game, and now 72+ hours off. You can't ask for a ton more, trust me.

This is the postseason, everyone is tired.

If Kendrick and Hamels pitch well, we won't need them much. If they pitch awful, it won't matter much.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:54 PM

I'm just glad we won't have to see witness the travesty that is Adam Eaton pitching in the postseason
Old 10-01-2007, 05:20 PM

Really a great year where everything came together despite a ridiculous number of injuries that should have knocked us out. Rollins and Utley took their games to the next level. Rowand had a career year. The emergence of Victorino. The resurgence of Burrell. Semi-decent production from 3B and C. And that's just our offense. It was hilariously awesome hearing the Mets being the ones complaining about their bullpen, while our troika + occasional help from Geary and Alfonseca held us together for the past month when our starters were having trouble getting through 5, let alone 7.

Despite my previous harsh criticism, I think I've come almost full circle on Manuel and feel that he deserves a lot of the credit for helping this team reach its potential. It would really be a shame if he doesn't return next year, and yes, I can't believe I'm saying this either.

As I said before, I think we've got a great chance to reach the Series. Without the Mets, I don't see how we're not the best team in the NL. The shorter rotation probably helps us since we won't have to trot out Eaton or Durbin or whoever in there. To be honest, though he pitched well yesterday, I don't want to see much of Moyer either. A healthy diet of Hamels/Kendrick/Lohse (who showed some real game on Saturday) should keep us in most games where our offense will hopefully take charge.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:04 PM

I agree, Manuel deserves a ton of credit. He might cost you a little making really dumb personnel decisions, but this team plays so hard, and he has said it before, no manager talks to and knows his team better. I have bashed many different people throughout this year, Manuel being one of them, and written the Phillies off many times, but I love this team, especially this current group, and am glad they made the playoffs. They deserve it.

I am already thinking about how good this team could be. Considering how young they are, and how ridiculously awful the pitching has been, if a couple things are fixed they will be awesome.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:38 PM

I must admit I was probably wrong about Manuel as well. He still sounds like a blabbering idiot in press conferences, but he does not deserve to die in a grease fire. Every horrible thing I said about Eaton still stands
Old 10-01-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FMP
Old 10-01-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must admit I was probably wrong about Manuel as well. He still sounds like a blabbering idiot in press conferences, but he does not deserve to die in a grease fire. Every horrible thing I said about Eaton still stands

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, Moyer went 3-0 in the playoffs a few years ago, so even if he's 206 years old, I want him out there Game 3.

Not like he can come in with bases jammed, 1 out and nibble the corners anyway...