Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 11:29 AM

Default quitting cigs and weight gain

Hey guys,
I'm 22, 6'2", 220 lbs. I've lost 50 lbs since January from working out and eating well. I've been smoking the entire time (around 15/day), but I've decided to call it quits. I've read online that quitting smoking causes weight gain, not simply because of a change in eating habits, but because your metabolism slows down. Is this true? Do any of you have experience quitting smoking? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: quitting cigs and weight gain

I quit smoking after having smoked for ten years. I gained about 10 lbs. I can't really speak to metabolic changes: it makes sense, though, b/c nicotine is a mild stimulant (from my limited research).

I feel the change in eating habits are what really make you gain weight. When I was smoking, I always had a cig after a meal--as most smokers do. That cig was the signal to my body and mind that I was done eating. When you quit, you don't have the signal--so you might go for the cookies or whatever. The oral fixation needs something besides cigs, so you replace it with food.

Also, when I didn't have the buzz from cigs, I replaced it with more beer.

My solution was to have some carbonated water after every meal--Klarbrunn lemon flavored. This replaced my post-meal smoke.

good luck man
Old 09-30-2007, 07:43 PM

i read somewhere that smoking causes fat around the midsection more, valid?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:46 AM

I'm actually using nicotine gum, so I guess my metabolism won't slow down. There is definitely an issue with needing an oral fix or whatever, so I'm going to have to find something to replace cigarettes in that area (preferably a girl's nipple).
Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 PM

I used the patch, and didn't experience any significant weight gain. I was running alot at the time, so I don't think it's the best case for consideration.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:09 PM

any reasonable weight gain vastly outweighs cigarette harm. Everything is short term anyway, in the short term you will likely gain weight, long term it shouldn't be an issue. As to the whole metabolism speed up, speed down, etc, think it is slightly overrated if you are eating correctly. If you aren't then obviously it's a big issue.