Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: post here when announcers (or the media) say or do something stupi

[ QUOTE ]
Some idiot on the TEX/ATL telecast said "this is 4th down territory for the Texans here."

4th Quarter, 14:52 left, ATL winning 23-13. Texans ball 4th and goal from the 2. Fourth. Down. Territory. If. I've. Ever. Seen. It.

Seriously, wtf?? There is 14 minutes left and you are down by 10 points. In no way, shape, or form is this 4th down territory.

The kicking team came out to the field immediately and he was like "Well, I guess I was wrong, they're actually going to kick the field goal here..."

[/ QUOTE ]

Vn level, almost fooled me
Old 09-30-2007, 04:16 PM

It's funny, because I was either watching that same game, or an almost identical situation while flipping around (early 4th quarter, team down by 10, kicks a FG on 4th and short inside the 10) and the play-by-play guy asked the color guy whether he liked the decision, and the commentator said "yeah, it's the right call, you're gonna need a FG and TD anyway, so want not take the 3 now?". Which is one of my pet peeve asinine cliches that announcers trot out without considering the situation.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:21 PM

I am a Texans fan and I was super-pissed that the Texans didn't go for the touchdown on 4th and goal from the 2.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:41 PM

NFL coaches simply don't understand that if you don't convert on 4th and 2 and turn the ball over on downs, having the other team pinned inside the 5 is such a huge edge. Kicking a FG and giving up superior field position on a kickoff is a terrible decision.

Also, you don't "need" a FG and TD. You can go for it on 4th, get the TD, then hopefully get another TD later to win it. Playing solely for a tie is generally a terrible gameplan.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:41 PM

Well I know one thing that's a hot topic on the Cardinals' offense - and that is look out for #43. He already came in and dropped a load on Edgerrin James, and that time it was Bryant Johnson.

-Dan Dierdorf, advising Peter North to watch out for Troy Polamalu
Old 09-30-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a Texans fan and I was super-pissed that the Texans didn't go for the touchdown on 4th and goal from the 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drew, the end of that drive looked terrible, they had no way to pound it in. They must have had like 6 or 7 plays from inside the 15 and just didn't look good. I had no faith that Dayne could jam that thing in. Kick it and get within a score.

I do realize that you need two scores (minimum one TD) just to at least tie, and that if you get the TD now, then you may get another later and take the lead, but how often do you get the TD here?

And if you don't, you are in a much larger hole still needed 2 scores and giving the ball away.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:14 PM

Let me clarify by saying it's more the fact that he called it "4th down territory" as opposed to saying "I'd really like to see them go for it here. If they don't make it, they pin them deep anyway. There is still time left to get 2 scores IMO."

Again, I'm not sold that either play is particularly better, but it was the whole "This is 4th down territory" comment that made me scoff.

It definitely was NOT "4th down territory", and I'll argue that as long as I need to. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2007, 05:18 PM

What is "4th down territory" if not a situation in which going for it on 4th is good? Or do you mean the actual part of the field? Because teams should be more and more inclined to go for it the deeper they get into the red zone.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:24 PM

Watching MASN in Baltimore for the Phils/Nats game.

Nats commentators said while the camera is showing the Phils fans going crazy as the last outs are being made, "Hey Nats fans, this could be you in a couple years."
Old 09-30-2007, 05:25 PM

pro,

your last post made no sense.