Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Everyones willing to call all in ($50 added FPP tourneys)

I was playing in a few FPP tourneys with $50 added, about 45 players usually, and I realized how willing people were to call all in. The last tourney, I decided to go all in whenever I thought I had the best hand and often got called. I won four all-ins within the first fifteen hands and then calmed down a little bit for the rest of the tourney.

Is this a valid strategy against these type of opponents or am I being a donkey. lol
Old 09-30-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Everyones willing to call all in ($50 added FPP tourneys)

You just have to be sure that all-in bets are being called. If you get AA the first hand and shove you might just pick up the blinds at a table with a bunch of reasonable players. I would still only shove with AKs, QQ+ though in this case, and play normally the rest of the time.

Obviously if you're playing a bunch of calling stations, you want to make strong aggressive bets to get all their chips when you think you have the best hand. Since you're probably going to have to see some showdowns. However, just remember that the odds of you winning with AK vs A5 three times in a row is about 37%, so expect to get sucked out on at some point.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:22 AM

Alright, cool. Thanks for the feedback [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2007, 11:49 AM

I have done this too in the past when playing a tournament with player points. seems to work ok but you definately need to restrict it to the high pairs. From the previous posters hand guide I would remove AK and add JJ. A lot of these players can't resist calling with any pair or any ace.

You can also use big raises of maybe 6-8 bb rather than all in as these give you somewhere to go if the flop is ugly. this can reduce your varience without giving up all that much EV