Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Standard flop shove with two pair?

Stars 4.4/180

If anyone’s been paying attention, I have a loser image. I’ve had one of those frustrating tourneys where all my playable hands are limpy/foldy (e.g. calling 3X in position with PP or medium SCs and folding to C-bets on crappy flops).

Villain is very loose/passive (53/0/0.3 over 32 hands).

UTG (1535 in chips)
UTG+1 (4070 in chips)
MP1 (4530 in chips)
MP2 (1090 in chips)
HJ (1575 in chips)
CO (2755 in chips)
BU (465 in chips)
SB (2795 in chips)
Hero (1515 in chips)

Blinds are 25/50, Hero is BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Two folds, MP1 calls 50, one fold, HJ calls 50, three folds, Hero raises 200 to 250, MP1 calls 200, HJ calls 200.

Flop (775): K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, MP1 bets 50, HJ raises 100 to 150, Hero shoves, MP1 calls, HJ folds. MP1 shows KK to win the pot.

Sorry for posting results, but it’s important to understand that this isn’t a suck-out sob story; I’m beat on the flop. And this is the third time in two days I've lost most or all of my chips against limped, slow-played AA/KK in very similar situations. So what I want to know is, am I being outplayed here, or is this standard?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Standard flop shove with two pair?

check your option preflop, lead the flop, go super duper broke w/ top 2 every time at this level...
Old 09-29-2007, 10:34 PM

Def. check preflop.

No problem going broke here.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:26 AM

(1) check preflop.
(2) lead the flop.
(3) of course you get it in here with top two on this board.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:03 AM

I would not have raised with KQ0 out of position.

That being said, I would still end up with all of my money in the pot with two pair. Not much you can do about running into KK. IMHO, MP1 is playing with fire by limping in with KK and 6 players yet to act. He is just asking for a weak Ace to bust him.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:38 AM

This is a poor play by mp1. If he had limp-reraised here with his kings then of course you could have gotten away from KQo but not on that flop. Not sure I like your flop check though. Although you have top two and that makes it less likley he has paired this is an action flop. He could have JT and semi bluff you all in. If he just has ace high you will be unikley to win much more anyway.

of course if he has kings .....
Old 09-30-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've lost most or all of my chips against limped, slow-played AA/KK in very similar situations. So what I want to know is, am I being outplayed here, or is this standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's more likely to have AA then KK in this spot since two of the kings are accounted for, and this is a fantastic spot for you to bust some retard who limped with a premium pair. Personally I love hitting two pair with hands like 85o and stacking AA in these spots, but KQ is certainly acceptable as well.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:18 AM

I don't raise preflop, people don't know how to fold once they've limped (unless it's a massive overbet then they might fold)...raising just leaves you oop against more than one opponent in a bloated pot.

with effective stack sizes and that flop and potsize I'm never getting away from that hand.