Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 04:30 PM

Default how does this bankroll plan sound?

Starting roll: $300

0 -> 499 = NLH/PLO 0.05/0.10

500 -> 999 = NLH/PLO 0.10/0.25

1000 -> 2000 = NLH/PLO/HeadsUp 0.25/0.50

2000+ = NLH/PLO/HeadsUp 0.50 1.00

How does this sound?

I dont really care how long this takes to be honest because i have never had money in a poker account for more than 2 weeks i guess.

If i can actually reach 0.50/1.00 using proper bankroll management i would be really happy and proud.

Also because i wont have the ideal amount of buyins for each level i have decided if i drop 4 buyins after moving up ill mover back down.

For example:-

say when i move up to 0.50 1.00 with $2000, then i drop 4 buyins and have a BR of ~1600, i'll move back down to 0.25/0.50.

So how does all this sound? Any recomended ajustments you think i should make to this BR plan?

Ty Ty
Old 09-26-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: how does this bankroll plan sound?

looks pretty normal. very conservative to begin with allowing for a learning curve and then 20 BI (5%) rule and that's what most would recommend
Old 09-26-2007, 11:52 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

Sounds fine. IIRC the bankroll requirements for a decent player are 10 buy-ins for 10NL, 15 buy-ins for 25NL and 20 buy-ins for anything higher than that. You're clear of that here; going conservative is a good route if you don't have a ton of experience.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:57 PM

Definitely move up to 25NL after $400. $400 is plenty provided you didn't build your roll purely by luck.

Also, not sure if I'd play different games consistently with the same BR. I'd probably want to keep a seperate one for both NL and PLO. The inherent statistical nature of the two games are slightly different, and as such the variance is going to be different as well (can I say the variance will vary? lol).

This way, if you are profiting hardcore at NL, and running horrid at OH, you don't cut into NL profits by playing short-rolled in case you want to multi-table.

GL!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:34 AM

I would build in some sort of withdrawal schedule.

I currently withdraw 10% of my month-end bankroll, because its nice to see something tangible for your efforts, no matter how small.

Also, you need to consider the possibility that you will get stuck at a certain level for a significant period of time. Without seeing some reward you may lose focus and let it affect your game. Imagine the learning golfer who cant break 100 for weeks and weeks before suddenly cracking it and quickly reaching the low 90s. It does happen.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:43 AM

Worry less about roll and more about skill intially. Too many use the 20 bi rule and forget that they must constantly improve their game to match their level. 20 bi is not a magic number that guarantees success.

Good Luck
Old 09-29-2007, 05:32 PM

I think this sounds great without the heads up part.

I suspect that heads up can be more volotile than even 6-max. You may not want to play heads up at 0.25/0.50. Maybe play 0.25/0.50 at 6-max or full ring, but play heads up (if that's what you want) at one level lower (0.10/0.25) once you have a BR of 1000 -> 2000. And again when you move up, play heads up at one level lower than your other games.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:28 PM

Looks pretty much like what I did for my first two levels.. and it is working for me.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I currently withdraw 10% of my month-end bankroll, because its nice to see something tangible for your efforts, no matter how small.

[/ QUOTE ]

even when you are building a bankroll? or would it be better to say ok when I get xx amount i will start to withdraw %10?
Old 09-30-2007, 01:01 AM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

even when you are building a bankroll? or would it be better to say ok when I get xx amount i will start to withdraw %10?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious about this myself--I've only heard people withdrawing a certain percentage of their winnings, or withdrawing their rakeback and keeping their winnings in there. Do you withdraw even if you have a losing month?