Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 10:03 PM

Default 25nl - Paying off loose players

I've played with villain before. He calls me down really light. The only thing is the river is a terrible card for me. I decided to bet to get value from KJ or a pp, because he's a loose passive and he's checking behind a lot.

Ultimate Bet - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $25.64
BB: $48.72
Hero (UTG): $24.99
CO: $0.59
BTN: $34.16

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $0.85, SB folds, BB calls $0.60

Flop: ($2.65) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $1.75</font>, BTN calls $1.75, BB folds

Turn: ($6.15) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $4.00</font>, BTN calls $4.00

River: ($14.15) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $10.00</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $20.00</font>, Hero calls all-in for $8.39
Uncalled bet of $1.61 returned to BTN

Pot Size: $50.93 ($2 Rake)

I only have 25 hands on villain, he's like 30/0. I've been getting into a ton of hands like these lately. I play about 17-19 (depending on table dyanmics)/15, and basically at this time I'm playing super tight. Like I'm not getting paid off on my big hands, and when I lose a pot it's to crap like this. I think there's something wrong with my basic preflop strategy as I'm too easy to read maybe? The problem I have with loosening up to like 22/18 is that I suck at it, but would that be more optimal?

Ultimate Bet - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $44.63
BB: $22.25
Hero (UTG): $31.93
BTN: $18.45

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, BTN calls $0.85, SB folds, BB calls $0.60

Flop: ($2.65) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $2.25</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $9.40</font>, BB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $30.85</font>, BTN calls all-in for $8.20
Uncalled bet of $13.25 returned to Hero

Turn: ($37.85) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

River: ($37.85) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $37.85 ($1.50 Rake)

I decided folding here is way too weak, and he could have other hands besides a T right?

Ultimate Bet - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $44.63
BB: $22.25
Hero (UTG): $31.93
BTN: $18.45

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, BTN calls $0.85, SB folds, BB calls $0.60

Flop: ($2.65) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $2.25</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $9.40</font>, BB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $30.85</font>, BTN calls all-in for $8.20
Uncalled bet of $13.25 returned to Hero

Turn: ($37.85) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

River: ($37.85) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $37.85 ($1.50 Rake)
Old 09-29-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: 25nl - Paying off loose players

1 - how is the 9h a terrible card? because you think he just hit a backdoor flush?? hand seems standard, you can't check that river and ok once the loose-passive guy raises you you aren't that happy but you're not folding here

2 - kind of tough but like you said there's plenty he could have besides a t. with his stack size you cant really call and re-eval so shove is good

I wouldn't worry too much about your pre-flop numbers
Old 09-29-2007, 10:16 PM

I think you played the KQ fine. You have trips with a good kicker against a calling station, and it's right to try and get value on every street. Okay, you throw up when he raises on the river, but I think you just have to pay him off.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:21 PM

Thanks guys, I guess I'm just running bad lately. I'm not winning as much as I'd like to either my last 20k hands, but my leaks are probably elsewhere. I'm just kind of lost as to when to fold and call and valuebet thinly, I think I'm folding postflop too much actually. I'm pretty nitty.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:24 PM

Hand one is super standard the way its played...you cant fold the river for your last 8 bucks or whatever, he shows up with a worst king often enough.

Hand 2 is tough, when you say loose players do you mean postflop or pre? theres a massive difference...is he the type that likes to steal pots postflop? the getting it in is ok.

Dont get too caught up in preflop numbers...postflop is where the money is at, although learning how to play a looser game will pay off dividends and make you a much better player. Just learn to control it