Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Missed value bet?

Hello all, first post lol. I've been playing limit for about 3 months starting at .25/.50. Did ok and sort of skipped .5/1 and now mainly play 1/2 with a bit of 2/4. Been having some problems adjusting to the more aggressive players at the higher limits and i feel like i keep shutting down too much or getting pushed of best but marginal hands.
In this hand it was very early in the session so i had no real reads other than utg seemed fairly tight and bb loose. After playing for a while it was obvious that bb was an utter maniac 100/50/1.76 who must have been tilting or drunk cos he donked off about 80bb in 20 hands. Utg had stats when i finished my session of 19/13/1.4 but i had not played enough hands with either of them by this hand to get any stats up.

When utg c/r the flop i thought he might be on a fd so 3bet. His cap made me think KJ or a set and i honestly wasn't sure about bb, thought he might have just a pair. Should i be raising the turn when a non heart comes? When he checked the river i thought busted FD but was a still a bit wary of a c/r with better hand and about what bb could have, am i being too weak tight here?

Prima Poker skin
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with :qs :ac
[color=#cc0000]UTG raises</font>, [color=#cc0000]Hero 3-bets</font>, 3 folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: :10h :qc :ah (9.5SB, 3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, [color=#cc0000]Hero bets</font>, BB calls, [color=#cc0000]UTG raises</font>, [color=#cc0000]Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, [color=#cc0000]UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: :5c (10.75BB, 3 players)
BB checks, [color=#cc0000]UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: :10c (13.75BB, 3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero ??

I will be very impressed if anyone can guess what BB had.

If I've done anything wrong in the post let me know for the future and cheers for any help.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Missed value bet?

Readless I would check through also.

BB did an awful lot of cold calling which always worries me when the river pairs the board.

With UTG agression then check on the river, I am thinking AK for him. The 10 scared him. He was happy to lead the turn, so I dont think he is going for the c/r here.
Had you raised the turn, indicating to him you might be a river agressor I think c/r becomes more of a possibility.

Thats BB's hand suprises you, I opt for a terribly played QQ. If he has any other pocket pair, excluding AA, I would not be suprised at his play at all. KQ and 10,J are also options, but this is subconciously coming to me after reading your read, that you didnt have at the time.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:19 PM

utg's hand looks like a scared AQ more than AK. you can probably make a somewhat thin value bet hoping bb calls with a queen or Ax and praying he doesn't check-raise you.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:36 PM

Do you think there is any value in raising the bricked turn or is it just pure spew? If i had known that the bb would literally call with any 2 then what rzk said makes sense. Would we still have to pay off a c/r from utg?
Bubble you are giving far too much credit to bb with your hand range, he was 100/50.
Anyone know how to make the converter work properly? I copied and pasted it striaght in but it seems to have messed up.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think there is any value in raising the bricked turn or is it just pure spew? If i had known that the bb would literally call with any 2 then what rzk said makes sense. Would we still have to pay off a c/r from utg?
Bubble you are giving far too much credit to bb with your hand range, he was 100/50.
Anyone know how to make the converter work properly? I copied and pasted it striaght in but it seems to have messed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

no value in turn raise imo, you've shown a lot of strength and utg doesn't seem to care.

in all my comments i'm taking into account only the info you had at the time of the hand.

i wouldn't pay off a utg c/r on the river as i've never seen such a line with anything less than a monster.

you should select the 2+2 format in the converter.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:37 PM

At showdown utg showed q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] j [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] giving him a very strong draw on the flop. Do many villians cap this sort of hand on the flop? from playing in mostly passive games i dont think ive seen villian cap in a similar spot on the flop.
BB had 72o in case anyone was wondering.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At showdown utg showed q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] j [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] giving him a very strong draw on the flop. Do many villians cap this sort of hand on the flop? from playing in mostly passive games i dont think ive seen villian cap in a similar spot on the flop.
BB had 72o in case anyone was wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at bb. but yeah, QhJh definitely makes sense in terms of how utg played. i wonder if he'd call your value bet.