Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Online Disconnection Read

PokerStars .05 NL 9 Handed
Stacks
Hero $12
Villain $10

Villain just came to table, posted blind from MP, no past play with villain. I have AA and raise to $.25 (UTG limped). Villain calls, UTG folds. Heads up to flop.

Flop is 858 with two diamonds. I bet $.35, villain raises to $1.2, I re-raise to $3.2. Here’s where it gets interesting, villain tanks for his entire 40 seconds, then disconnects from PokerStars to gain time, he’s gone for almost 3 minutes, when he returns he calls.

What hands do you put him on after this?

Turn is a 7c, what action would you take?
Old 09-28-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Online Disconnection Read

Who knows, he could just have a bad connection. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Also, I would have just called his raise. He could definitely have the 8 and if you 3bet you're only getting worse hands to fold (unless he's an uberfish).
Old 09-28-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who knows, he could just have a bad connection. I wouldn't read too much into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Timing was to suspicious for it to just be a bad connection. Literally, he disconnected exactly 1 second before he would auto-fold. Besides, for the exercise, assume he disconnected deliberately, and what this disconnection means.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:26 PM

Disconnection leads to less hands/hour which is -EV for a winning player (or less +EV)...from that, I conclude the guy is a fish and you should basically shove. Maybe he thought disconnecting would put him all-in (which would probably mean he's on a draw).
Old 09-28-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Disconnection leads to less hands/hour which is -EV for a winning player (or less +EV)...from that, I conclude the guy is a fish and you should basically shove. Maybe he thought disconnecting would put him all-in (which would probably mean he's on a draw).

[/ QUOTE ]

That was pretty much my thought process. Winning players want to see hands. Since he took 40 seconds, then disconnected for another couple of minutes, I figured he didn't have the 8, so his likely holding was A5, 76 or two diamonds. I put him all in on the turn, and he called.

Anyone disagree with the shove here, and if so why?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:17 PM

I HIGHLY DOUBT that some one is disconnecting to have more time. he prolly has a [censored] connection and it happened. rather standard and imo not even worth mentioning
Old 09-28-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I HIGHLY DOUBT that some one is disconnecting to have more time. he prolly has a [censored] connection and it happened. rather standard and imo not even worth mentioning

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is the most likely reason, but for the sake of discussion, I figured I'd give some logic to why someone would do that.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, definitely don't read into this too much OP. Plus, on Stars you can mouseover and see their strength of connection. His was probably 13%.

And, in the future note that full ring hands are to be posted in the full ring forum. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, definitely don't read into this too much OP. Plus, on Stars you can mouseover and see their strength of connection. His was probably 13%.

And, in the future note that full ring hands are to be posted in the full ring forum. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

His connection was both 100% before and after the disconnection, at least according to the mouse over. It's the only time I've ever suspected anyone of deliberately disconnecting.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His connection was both 100% before and after the disconnection, at least according to the mouse over. It's the only time I've ever suspected anyone of deliberately disconnecting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the servers don't track connection status very well. Mine always shows 100% until my terrible DSL connection boots me when I finally pick up AA and get raised by someone preflop. Point is, this isn't a reliable read. In live poker, if he got up and left the table, that would be a read. But online, not really. Not only are connections bad, but people do 100 other things while playing. He may have disconnected to get a beer, or because his wife was yelling at him because he drinks and gambles too much.