Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 03:32 AM

Default Re: Top Chef Finale Part 1 Ep Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I agree and certainly don't blame it all on the editing. Hung's been a dick and he's not well-liked so that's going to come across one way or another. And if he loses I won't feel like he was robbed; as we've heard before, part of being "top chef" is the ability to inspire others to work with you. This may be Hung's downfall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure. I've caught a couple of reruns from Seasons 1 and 2 lately, mostly stuff from the end of each season. Hung seems to get along with the others much, much better than earlier "villains" like Tiffani and Marcel did with their competitors.

There just hasn't been quite as much tension among the chefs during this season: there have been group hugs and high-fives all around in all the recent episodes. You *never* saw people hugging Marcel, let alone refraining from cussing at him. There was the [censored] between Joey and Howie early (which they smoothed over) and people have had criticisms of Hung... but it doesn't really seem to carry over that much into how they act around him. They also obviously respect him, or at least respect his abilities.

Almost all of the recent criticism of Hung has come from Dale, and mostly in episodes when I think Dale probably feared he wasn't going to be surviving elimination. It's much easier to pretend that it's a team effort and to take this supposed moral high ground when you think you probably aren't going to win. It's like Howie "bowing out" in the episode where he was eliminated.

At this point, any of the three remaining could win. Dale has had a number of individual dishes that have really impressed the judges, so it's possible he could put together a really great finale meal.

I think I give the edge to Hung (and he's the one I'd like to see win), but I think it's going to be really close. I don't think Hung fits the Tiffani / Marcel type, despite the editors' attempt to hype up tension in the group.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:45 AM

when is the part 2 of 2 finale?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not so sure. I've caught a couple of reruns from Seasons 1 and 2 lately, mostly stuff from the end of each season. Hung seems to get along with the others much, much better than earlier "villains" like Tiffani and Marcel did with their competitors.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Marcel was in a league of his own, and Tiffani came off quite badly as well.

[ QUOTE ]
There just hasn't been quite as much tension among the chefs during this season: there have been group hugs and high-fives all around in all the recent episodes. You *never* saw people hugging Marcel, let alone refraining from cussing at him. There was the [censored] between Joey and Howie early (which they smoothed over) and people have had criticisms of Hung... but it doesn't really seem to carry over that much into how they act around him. They also obviously respect him, or at least respect his abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Hung definitely has their respect. I'm not so sure they feel any love for him though, and I wonder how thrilled they were when, for example, Colicchio said that Hung was clearly the best technical chef in front of everyone last episode.

There have been some hugs and high-fives, but in general if you watch the body language and comments after challenge winners are announced and when people are saying their goodbyes, my impression is that Hung doesn't have the same camaraderie with the group.

[ QUOTE ]
Almost all of the recent criticism of Hung has come from Dale, and mostly in episodes when I think Dale probably feared he wasn't going to be surviving elimination. It's much easier to pretend that it's a team effort and to take this supposed moral high ground when you think you probably aren't going to win. It's like Howie "bowing out" in the episode where he was eliminated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point well taken. Still, it's kind of curious that there's been so little criticism of any other contestants (Howie notwithstanding) except Hung. And think about how many times Hung has been singled out not just by the camera but with accompanying interview comments for not helping someone out when he finished early. Why go out of the way to slam him for something that has so little to do with the actual cooking?

(I'm starting to feel like Hung's older brother. Better take a deep breath. I hope these comments don't sound too serious because this is really all in good fun.)

[ QUOTE ]
At this point, any of the three remaining could win. Dale has had a number of individual dishes that have really impressed the judges, so it's possible he could put together a really great finale meal.

I think I give the edge to Hung (and he's the one I'd like to see win), but I think it's going to be really close. I don't think Hung fits the Tiffani / Marcel type, despite the editors' attempt to hype up tension in the group.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I see some parallels with Tiffani/Marcel but who really knows. If this were another reality show, like The Bachelor (please don't ask how I know this), where the eventual winner is often edited to look like the he/she is not going to win so the finale isn't telegraphed, then I'd say all 3 have a chance.

But I don't think so. They've positioned Casey and Hung as the best chefs remaining. As in past seasons, there will be a stark contrast between the final two. If Hung were the winner, I think they would have edited very differently, because if he wins the audience imho will have a much different visceral reaction than if Casey wins.

Of course, I'm probably wrong. That happens a lot.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:51 PM

Thoughts...yes, Hung is supposed to be the villain this season. Not on a level with Tiffany and Marcel. He hasn't been on the receiving end of anything like "I'm not your bitch, bitch" or "just take your foam and go sit in the corner." He hasn't actively sabotaged anyone else like Tiffany and Marcel, but Hung is so condescending it's ridiculous. The judges don't understand, they're confused. Any classically trained chef can do this. Any monkey can use white wine with fish. What do cowboys eat? Baked beans, baked beans, baked beans!

In the previous season finales, the finalists got help from other chefs that were eliminated. It seems to me that having a team to rely on hurts the villain, because the villain's team won't step up like they will for the hero. They'll go out drinking the night before, like Dave and Stephen, and come in hung over and not put forth their best effort. So if the Season 3 guys get help...I'm thinking that Casey will be a clear favorite. CJ would probably be her helper, and he'd do whatever it took to make her win. Brian could help Dale I guess, but knowing those two, they'd come up with a hundred-ingredient recipe and three choices for each course, and the judges wouldn't know what they were eating. I think Hung and Sara might clash too much and it would affect the food...but they could whip some ass chopping onions and breaking down chickens. If the chefs are on their own, I think Casey is a slight favorite. Depends on what they're cooking and how much time they have.

Hung makes very good, technically perfect food....and that may be enough to win if Casey and Dale "get lost in the weeds" in the finale. Having helpers will reduce the chances of that happening. Casey is solid and can cook just about anything. Dale can come up with some great stuff and improvise well, but he seems to be the one most susceptible to going crazy and losing it all...like with the chicken duet for the French chefs. By the way, did you know that he was gay? Is it just me, or does he manage to mention that in every interview? Annoying.

I would like to see Casey win, but I wouldn't mind if Hung won. I think I'd pick Casey or Tre to cook me dinner.

ScottieK
Old 09-28-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would like to see Casey win, but I wouldn't mind if Hung won. I think I'd pick Casey or Tre to cook me dinner.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had grits, but when Tre made those cheesy bacon grits, I was like "Holy [censored], that sounds awesome!".
Old 09-28-2007, 08:52 PM

I'd just like to point out that Eric Ripert ate food with his knife TWICE during this episode. WTF @ world renowned chef forsaking basic eating etiquette on national TV.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just like to point out that Eric Ripert ate food with his knife TWICE during this episode. WTF @ world renowned chef forsaking basic eating etiquette on national TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

i liked seeing wylie dufresne eat shrimp with his hands last season
Old 10-05-2007, 12:15 PM

Just found this video of Brian after his elimination.

Brian after elimination

Basic idea, he thinks that he was robbed and that if they are going to put so much emphasis on the plates, they should call it Top Dish, not Top Chef.

Right.

I guess that explains having done only oysters for a raw bar in the week before the restaurant challenge, then two weeks of front of the house stuff, instead of cooking food.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:31 PM

Per Tom's blog, Brian ended up at judges table basically because he was stuck in Aspen with nothing else to do. That's pretty rolf to me.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Per Tom's blog, Brian ended up at judges table basically because he was stuck in Aspen with nothing else to do. That's pretty rolf to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent. Catching up on the blogs now.

Not only has Hung managed to become likeable to me over these last three episodes, but Brian managed to become something of an arrogant ass.

Still [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Casey. Don't change, girl. Don't change.