Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: My best response:
"Jason, what I meant is that given that picture of you, and the cuteness of your baby, your wife must be very attractive, because it had to come from somewhere. Sorry for the confusion." 9 50.00%
"Yeah, what can I say, I'm into redheads." 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2007, 09:59 AM

Default Re: WTF is up with %1000

[ QUOTE ]
Folks,

As I'm sure at least some of you have surmised, the reason for the (maybe temporary change) is that some of our users have decided that large view counts, even if artificially created, are a good thing. Unfortunately twice in the last 3 weeks this has increased the load on the forums to the point where they become unusable. This wastes all of our time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we at least increase the >1k to something useful like 5k? That would limit the meaningless refreshes to increase view count without ruining the feature.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:29 AM

Does it have to be ">1000". That looks weird. How about "1000+"?

[ QUOTE ]
Folks,

As I'm sure at least some of you have surmised, the reason for the (maybe temporary change) is that some of our users have decided that large view counts, even if artificially created, are a good thing. Unfortunately twice in the last 3 weeks this has increased the load on the forums to the point where they become unusable. This wastes all of our time.

[/ QUOTE ]

by this logic, post count should also be turned into >1k. I imagine people posting meaningless stuff to up their count is much more common then people refreshing threads just to up the views.

And in both cases, if there is such a problem and it needs to be addressed a far better solution would be to get rid of the counts altogether.

[ QUOTE ]
Folks,

[/ QUOTE ]

Those crazy teenagers!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Folks,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, I knew this was punishment for BBV4L's retarded shenanigans. How about a compromise by chaging it from 1000 to a higher number, say 10 or 15K? Seems like a win-win for everyone.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:49 AM

Is there any way to change this setting only for the forums that are causing the problems?

Also, agreed that 1000+ would be better, or even just "1000", as I'm pretty sure people will get the idea.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 AM

My vote goes with getting rid of the column altogether.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:58 AM

I don't have a great connection at the best of times, but, fwiw, since this change, my Twoplustwo-surfing experience has been improved manyfold as the page-loading time has speeded (sped? spud?) up enormously.

If this has happened for everyone, after the recent thrill of anticipation for tub's 10,000th post we will be celebrating his 11,000th post in a matter of only a few weeks.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Folks,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, I knew this was punishment for BBV4L's retarded shenanigans. How about a compromise by chaging it from 1000 to a higher number, say 10 or 15K? Seems like a win-win for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still get the flame at 15k.

Lori
Old 09-28-2007, 11:04 AM

now it's 1000+ is this supposed to be better?