Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 10:20 AM

Default NL50, TP w/ flush draw... correct play/best line?

$0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em, 9 max

Seat 2: Villain ($61.85)
Seat 7: Hero ($50)

Villain posts the big blind of $0.50
The button is in seat #9
Dealt to Hero[A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
Hero raises to $1.75
Villain calls $1.25
Pot = $3.75

*** FLOP *** [5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Villain checks
Hero bets $2.50
Villain calls $2.50
Pot = $8.75

*** TURN *** [5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Villain checks
Hero bets $5.50
Villain raises to $15
Hero calls $9.50
Pot = $38.75

*** RIVER *** [5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Villain bets $20
Hero folds

This was one of my first hands at the table and villain is an unknown, he hasn't played a hand in the few I have been there.

I loved the flop, giving me TP plus the nut flush draw. With villain's call on the flop, I put him on a range of AK, 55, A5, AJ, A10, other Ax, or 2 clubs. His CR on the turn confused me the most and I am questioning my line here more than any other area of the hand. I didn't think he would CR me here without a better hand than mine OOP. I narrowed his hands down to 55, AK, A5, A7, and Ax where he just might think I am CBing the entire way with KQ, QQ, JJ, etc.

His play in the hand, CC then CR was indicative to me of 55 or AK. He might have even hit an A7 on the turn. I am thinking I have 9 outs at least for the flush against AK and 55, against A5 I have 18 outs, A7 I have 12 outs. I'm getting just over 2-1 on my pot odds to call the CR on the turn and I do believe he will pay me off some on the river if I hit my flush for implied odds.

What's your opinion on the turn here? Correct play/best line?

On the river I thought he did indeed have him beat and I folded. Without hitting any of the outs I had or thought I could have had, my hand stood at just TP with a good kicker so I let it go.

Fold the river?

Without information, it makes this hand harder for me to figure out his range and without the club draw I think I'll let it go on the turn.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: NL50, TP w/ flush draw... correct play/best line?

villians range after CC flop...(5/5, A/5, A/x, Ac/x, 10c/Jc, A/J, A/10, c/c)

i like the PF raise and bet on the flop (about 3/4 pot is fine w/me)......

villians ranger after CR turn...

55 - is possible, but unlikely, checking a set on flop and turn is an -EV play with such a connected board....if he did do this, give hime credit for making a tricky play and for knowing (hoping) you would put another bet in on the turn and having a good-sized pot in there before putting the raise in

A/5 - possible, if so the check on the turn is risky

10c/Jc - very unlikely.....he's drawing very slim since you hold the Qc, he's coolered if he makes his hand, you're coolered if a non-club Q comes off

A/K - it's possible, but IMO i don't see him playing AK this slow.....

A/J, A/10..... I don't see these marginal hands putting in a RR after flat-calling the flop and after you (the original raiser) have shown strength throughout the whole hand

club/club - if he's chasing w/4 flush draw, he's not gonna' RR the turn

A/x (A/7)......this hand makes the most sense to me, players at lower limits have a hard time throwing away TP (especially when it's an Ace), he flat calls the flop to keep the pot small w/ his bad kicker, hits lightning in a bottle when the 7 comes of and makes a standard CR w/his two pair

It's definitely a tough spot....

I would check behind him on the turn for 2 reasons.....

#1 - you raised PF and bet flop (which could easily be a continuation bet)....if you check 4th street you

a) get paid off by a hand you can beat on the river

b) play a small pot and can just call the river....even if you lose the pot, you've lost the minimum and have gained information from villian

#2 - when the you bet the turn, you risk getting CR, you shut yourself out of the pot and lose the chance to hit your Nut draw for a cheap price....you were getting 2:1 to hit the club, but those aren't the kind of spots you're looking for with only one to come (obv this changes if the action had occurred on the flop and you had 2 to come, doubling your outs)

my thoughts may be results oriented thinking, but I hope it sheds light....
Old 09-28-2007, 11:22 AM

try posting this in the fr forums. def fold the river.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:40 AM

I like your line here. Until the CR, you have every reason to think you are ahead, and you have a re-draw to the nuts. Many villains will call you down with worse aces, and if he is drawing to the flush, then he's obviously drawing dead.

To me, the CR means you fell behind, mostly likely with Villain hitting a two-pair on the turn. It's possible that you were always behind, but in some sense, it doesn't matter. The pot is now pretty big, and one advantage of your line is that it disguises your flush draw. Thus, I think you have the implied odds to call the turn, and I think Villain will call some pretty big bets if the flush hits.

I'd fold the river. Except for a busted draw, there isn't much you can beat, and none of the hands that you could beat is consistent with his line.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...one advantage of your line is that it disguises your flush draw. Thus, I think you have the implied odds to call the turn, and I think Villain will call some pretty big bets if the flush hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a big reason why I decided to call the turn. I felt if a club did hit, I would get paid off because of the line I took previously in the hand with betting both the flop and turn. I thought villain would be me on AQ or AJ after the turn and pay me off on the river.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:07 PM

I think K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] are also in his range for the c/r, so I'm pretty tempted to call river.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:21 PM

I like it. The c/c the flop and then c/r the turn is a super-standard line for flopped sets. I'm not checking behind the turn; if he has a lower ace I want him to pay for the trip to valuetown. Pushing the turn is an option if you had some fold equity, but I don't think you have any
Old 09-28-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] are also in his range for the c/r, so I'm pretty tempted to call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree...i think these kind of hands are just calling the turn, what would villian do (assuming he had K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) if he C/R the turn then OP shoved??
Old 09-28-2007, 02:58 PM

I like how you played it. I would have made my bets slightly larger though.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:39 PM

I can see the argument for slightly larger bets, but I did think I had villain beat UNTIL the CR. A flush draw or a weaker A was what I had him on with the CC and then the turn check, so I want to make him pay a little to draw, but not too little of course, so I thought I priced my bets pretty well. Of course this range changed drastically after the CR.