Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Kinda OT: Should i take a semester off school?

love all the GPA talk in here. You're GPA matters to exactly one employer, your first. After that, your work experience is exponentially more important. Of course, a 4.0 GPA also means nothing if you can't interview for [censored]. No one truly enjoys classes and homework, but if you truly hate it, consider changing majors. Perhaps something in finance so you can diversify your bankroll.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:10 AM

are we all freaking serious here?!?! this is a kid that is struggling in a state university! He has admitted to being even less motivated now. Most of you are telling him to endure this so he what, pulls a 1.8 gpa this semester? His personality led to him having a photoshop of him riding david robinson's (member) on another forum because of the way he acted.

BUT, he has a talent in this silly game called poker and due to a nice run this year (not in one tournament but many)has some cash sitting around. honestly, what is his ONLY play?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
him having a photoshop of him riding david robinson's (member) on another forum

[/ QUOTE ]

yea but you could say that about like everyone
Old 09-27-2007, 03:16 AM

link to photoshop plz...
Old 09-27-2007, 05:33 AM

I'm taking online courses for a Masters program now. They are cake and I've heard undergrad is 10x easier and its pretty much impossible to get less then a C.

If gpa is a concern it shouldnt be. Undergrad gpa is practically useless unless you plan on applying for law or med school.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm taking online courses for a Masters program now. They are cake and I've heard undergrad is 10x easier and its pretty much impossible to get less then a C.

If gpa is a concern it shouldnt be. Undergrad gpa is practically useless unless you plan on applying for law or med school.

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldn't be more wrong on about 4 levels. Oh, and online Masters courses that are taken by people without an undergraduate degree...well, just lol.

Btw, I'm 40 years old, have a BS and MS in Engineering, just finished being interviewed at NASA - and they brought up my undergraduate gpa (as a negative, but something they could 'let go' since my MS gpa was great and I've proven myself for 15 years since then). Brag: I got the job :-)

To the OP - I can't imagine why you'd ever regret it if you stay in school, but I can think of many ways this story ends with regret if you don't. The best answer is most likely to refocus and get motivated (go talk to some very smart, educated people that you respect).
Old 09-27-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldn't be more wrong on about 4 levels. Oh, and online Masters courses that are taken by people without an undergraduate degree...well, just lol.

Btw, I'm 40 years old, have a BS and MS in Engineering, just finished being interviewed at NASA - and they brought up my undergraduate gpa (as a negative, but something they could 'let go' since my MS gpa was great and I've proven myself for 15 years since then). Brag: I got the job :-)

To the OP - I can't imagine why you'd ever regret it if you stay in school, but I can think of many ways this story ends with regret if you don't. The best answer is most likely to refocus and get motivated (go talk to some very smart, educated people that you respect).

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine if OP applies to NASA, the CIA or any other elitest emplyment I apologize for giving false information about undergrad gpa being useless. I will amend that and say its meaningless in about 90% of societies situations.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:24 AM

Barry Greenstein would tell you to stay in school,

Daniel Negreanu would tell you to take the time off.

The only question left - who's hairline do you want?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fine if OP applies to NASA, the CIA or any other elitest emplyment I apologize for giving false information about undergrad gpa being useless. I will amend that and say its meaningless in about 90% of societies situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

90% of 'society situations' couldn't give a rats butt whether you have a degree at all. When you are talking to people about football and say you graduated from XXU, they won't ask your gpa.

Of those companies and organizations that do care if you have a degree (require one for employment), most of them will continue to ask your gpa well into your career. They ask, because they will use it to compare with other applicants as PART of the decision to determine who get's the job.

FWIW, I thought the same exact thing you do when I was 18-22 (hence the bad gpa), but life has proved me wrong, over and over.

If the OP is trying to decide between a BS and bad gpa and no BS, I'd take the BS and bad gpa. BUT, I also found out that the difference in effort between a really good gpa and a bad one is pretty minor (like 'go to class, do the assignments').
Old 09-27-2007, 09:55 AM

Confused1, Are you the rocket surgeon that was previously mentioned?