Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Interested in starting a keeper basketball league

For the record, my desired rival was simply "whomever lists me as their rival."

I'm still not understanding the salary cap, but I havn't really given it any effort yet...I'll go back and read the rules again. I understand that itsa soft cap and you pay more if you're over it. What I don't understand is how we determine a player's initial salary and subsequent salary(especially once released and re-signed).

Also, why exactly are we separating the rookie and regular drafts? I think it'd be much more interesting and strategic to have them all together.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I don't understand is how we determine a player's initial salary and subsequent salary(especially once released and re-signed).

[/ QUOTE ]

Initial salary is assigned based on slotting on the spreadsheet Commish sent out today.

If a player is released during the regular season, (and I'm oversimplifying), then teams under the cap have an edge over everyone else in the waiver process.

If they are released in the offseason, they get bid on in the FA process.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, why exactly are we separating the rookie and regular drafts? I think it'd be much more interesting and strategic to have them all together.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get to have interesting and strategic bidding of last year's rookies, etc. The rookie contracts are a key part of the NBA and hence the NBN2's salary structure. It's important to start them off from Day 1.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:32 AM

PS. The Vatican City better have extra security on hand the first time the Bombers come to town.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 AM

Clark, I am under the impression that you never have to retain a player for the next year. AKA theoretically I could enter the next offseason with a salary cap responsibility of 0 dollars.

Is this correct?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clark, I am under the impression that you never have to retain a player for the next year. AKA theoretically I could enter the next offseason with a salary cap responsibility of 0 dollars.

Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Though you would never want to, especially in the early years of the league. But each contract is annually renewable based on contract type (M, C or R) and length. You are never under obligation to retain anyone in the offseason. During the season, you can cut anyone at will, as long as their salary is under half the max (half max or higher can't be cut until the offseason).
Old 09-27-2007, 01:55 AM

Why do all the late-rounders start out as C3s? Seems like you don't get rewarded that much for late-round gems, if you can only keep them for 2 years before they hit the max (if my understanding of the contract system is correct).
Old 09-27-2007, 03:00 AM

The only thing that sucks(and I realize theres simply nothing we can do about this) is that whomever gets the #1 overall pick will have such a tremendous advantage with Juan Dixon on his roster that he'll probably be a considerable favorite even if the rest of his draft is merely average. I guess its just luck of the draw though...
Old 09-27-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do all the late-rounders start out as C3s? Seems like you don't get rewarded that much for late-round gems, if you can only keep them for 2 years before they hit the max (if my understanding of the contract system is correct).

[/ QUOTE ]

Your understanding is a little off.

No contract becomes a max deal unless one of two things happens:

Rookie contracts at the end of their R4 season either become max guys, or you drop them into the free agent pool and retain bird rights.

Regular C contracts keep going up. So you could go C3 then C4 up to say C7 even. You just go up the annual amount prescribed. So if you keep Joe Schmoe after his C5 year, he just becomes a C6 at 3.0 more.

So in this instance, the C3 guys next year will go from 1.2 C3 to 3.2 C4 (still a great deal for almost anyone who's not a waiver guy). Then after they turn C5 (and any year after that) you'll have the option to either retain them and let them become a 5.2 C5 (still a great deal), or release them into free agency and use your bird rights. If you kept them, then next year they'll be an 8.2 C6 (or release/bird), then I think 11.2 C7, etc. It'll be a long time before they hit the max and you always have the option of releasing and rebidding, even if you are over the cap, using your bird rights once they become a C5.

So there's TONS of benefit still for getting a late round gem. A true gem, is a deal for several years still, and has bird rights after just two years.

Just to clarify bird rights: we have a blind bidding free agent process. Bird rights just mean you can bid on that free agent just like the other teams do. The only difference is that if you are over the cap, you can still bid. Normally you can't bid on free agents (other than the midlevel exemption) unless you are under the cap. You don't get matching rights, or anything like that, but will get to bid.

Since this won't come into play until year 3, I think that's already plenty of detail.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:17 AM

If MEbenhoe's basketball team is anything like his baseball team this year, then the Northwest is a three-horse race.

Go Rhythm Methodists! I need to come up with a slogan.

-McGee
Old 09-27-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Re: So it begins

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone, we are a green light go.

Please check your email and respond to Alex so that:

1. We know your email is working
2. We know you have received the info, including draft setup, positions, etc.
3. We can schedule draft date
4. We can finalize the league site (it's up and running but we need confirmation of everyone's email)

Let's roll and good luck to all!

[/ QUOTE ]