Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 09:24 PM

Default Volunteer/Community Service Work

On Saturday I got back from a weeklong trip to Southern VA to do some home remodeling work with a volunteer-based organization which worked to provide inexpensive housing and home repair for low income people. Similar to Habitat for Humanity, but they go a little further.

Anyway, now I'm planning on getting involved with a local HfH chapter as well as some volunteer tutoring work.

Does anyone else here to any volunteer or charity work on a regular basis? If so, with whom? How was the experience?
Old 03-13-2006, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Volunteer/Community Service Work

I do it as a requirement for my school. It helped me see first hand how much it sucks to have absolutely no money, but the organization always has me doing random busy work that helps nobody. It's an eye-opening experience but doing bs stuff that doesn't need to be done is frustrating.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:00 PM

I had to do so many hours each year I was in high school, 30 I think. one year it was at Hosea House, which was tough, basically, its where nuns take care of abandoned children/crack babies etc. Il never forget that. I did a stint for HfH, which was pretty fun. I did some work for a nurserey school near my house which was really fun, and I coached a 2nd grade soccer team along w/ one of the kids parents my SR. year probably the easiest/most fun because I love soccer etc.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:05 PM

I was on the executive board of my school's habitat chapter for two years, and it was probably the defining activity of my college experience (sad that it ended a year ago). I made closer friends through the organization than anywhere else. I also recommend the alternative spring break trips your school probably has, although if you're a senior you're SOL. those trips were probably the three best weeks of my life.

as far as the actual construction, it can range from awesome to awful because the worksite coordinators are *usually* volunteers with not so much professional experience. but, you'll still have a great time with the people you meet. hope it works out well for you.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:24 PM

My vocation is social work and I'm currently working in a residential treatment center for boys. Although many of them come from desperate poverty or other unfriendly environments I try to get them to come on volunteer opportunities in the community. For kids who have never had anything, and who are often emotionally stunted, it's hard to get them to really feel or care for anyone but themselves at times.

Some of the things we've done include volunteering at a church tag sale, helping facilitate children's games at a botanical garden harvest festival, visiting homes for the elderly, etc. It can be very rewarding but also very frustrating since I have that added element of supervising the kids while I'm doing it.

NT
Old 03-13-2006, 10:27 PM

i got a job as an advanced math mentor for 3rd graders at a nearby elementary school while at university. they had all tested out of their math curriculum and needed something more to do. so i went once a week and worked on fractions, geometry, and a little prealgebra with them.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:41 PM

I am involved in a program where I mentor ex-cons. I also serve food at a soup kitchen about 4 times per year.

It feels good to do things for others and I selfishly find inspiration in seeing people who have had a far rougher life than I take courageous strides to make a better life for themselves.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:25 PM

guids,

Is Hosea House a national organization or was it just a local group? It sounds like a great group. I worked at a facility called the Concourse House in the Bronx which was a home for homeless women and their children, the majority of whom were dealing with either substance abuse problems or fleeing abusive relationships. I did that my senior year of high school and it was definitely one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.

man,

The trip I just came back from was actually an alternative Spring Break trip. I'm a junior this year and wish that I'd gotten involved with it earlier, but I'm going to try to get more involved with the organizational aspect of it next year and go on another one in my senior year.

Roy Munson,

What is the ex-con tutoring program like? I'm thinking about getting involved with a similar program, but it's tutoring current inmates in basic literacy, but I might be able to do some GED tutoring.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:33 AM

Hosea house is just a local shelter I believe, its run by a specific order of nuns, but the name escapes me. It was really a great organization and they did a lot to help the people, imo, who need the most help, kids. Im not a bleeding heart by any means, and honestly, I had to do the service hours to graduate, but it changed a lot of my thinking, and Im glad I did it.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:55 AM

Where in Southern VA?