Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Kinda OT: Should i take a semester off school?

charder, if you are getting avg/bad grades at your state school, get the efff outta there. You have done quite well this year. your poker future holds one of 2 things:
1. you blow up infinate huge, invest profits wisely, and dont have to worry about how you are going to make money for the rest of your life.

or
2. You blow the decent br you have now over the next year traveling around the country/world having the time of your life.

I have met many successful people in my day, and the majority of the truely wealthy have made their wealth outside 'corporate america'. Having a degree is a step up, but what you make of your life has nothing to do with college(ie. bill gates?!?!) You can always go back to school if that is what you want to do. Believe in yourself and dont live with regrets.

ps, micon may have a spot for you in vegas, i heard he may be running a little low on rent $$..........

Jerry
JRBluff
Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having a degree is a step up, but what you make of your life has nothing to do with college(ie. bill gates?!?!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you're lucky enough to accidentally stumble into a field of sales that's going to blow up regardless of your actions, then you're willing to "borrow" a bunch of work you never did and attach your name to an entire field and get rich because you're pretty much just *lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time*.

Yeah maybe some more of you should go learn [censored] about business before you tell people how to be successful.

Proven fact: Average Income is higher scaling with higher education. Nothing you can or will [censored] about anywhere is going to change that, so stop using completely esoteric examples here. You're pretty much pitching an infomercial and creating bigger gaps in a new job field that you don't even understand.

Get your dumb off the forum. More people in this country regret not going to college than regret not dropping out. Enjoy your youth, socialize, network. That's what college is for.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Having a degree is a step up, but what you make of your life has nothing to do with college(ie. bill gates?!?!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you're lucky enough to accidentally stumble into a field of sales that's going to blow up regardless of your actions, then you're willing to "borrow" a bunch of work you never did and attach your name to an entire field and get rich because you're pretty much just *lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time*.

Yeah maybe some more of you should go learn [censored] about business before you tell people how to be successful.

Proven fact: Average Income is higher scaling with higher education. Nothing you can or will [censored] about anywhere is going to change that, so stop using completely esoteric examples here. You're pretty much pitching an infomercial and creating bigger gaps in a new job field that you don't even understand.

Get your dumb off the forum. More people in this country regret not going to college than regret not dropping out. Enjoy your youth, socialize, network. That's what college is for.

[/ QUOTE ]

u probs dont have like any friends amirite
Old 09-26-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

u probs dont have like any friends amirite

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea why you would get that idea :-/. I'm seldom not with my friends. Even when playing poker. I'm really just annoyed by blatant ignorance when it's utilized to tell someone how to live their life.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:10 AM

are we all freaking serious here?!?! this is a kid that is struggling in a state university! He has admitted to being even less motivated now. Most of you are telling him to endure this so he what, pulls a 1.8 gpa this semester? His personality led to him having a photoshop of him riding david robinson's (member) on another forum because of the way he acted.

BUT, he has a talent in this silly game called poker and due to a nice run this year (not in one tournament but many)has some cash sitting around. honestly, what is his ONLY play?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
him having a photoshop of him riding david robinson's (member) on another forum

[/ QUOTE ]

yea but you could say that about like everyone
Old 09-27-2007, 03:16 AM

link to photoshop plz...
Old 09-27-2007, 05:33 AM

I'm taking online courses for a Masters program now. They are cake and I've heard undergrad is 10x easier and its pretty much impossible to get less then a C.

If gpa is a concern it shouldnt be. Undergrad gpa is practically useless unless you plan on applying for law or med school.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
charder, if you are getting avg/bad grades at your state school, get the efff outta there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key point everyone is missing I think. You have average/bad grades already, and you're feeling less motivated. If you were in the situation where you had a 3.5 but didn't feel like going anymore I'd say try to tough it out. You certainly don't want to end up failing out, and graduating with a gpa below 3.0 is a big deal these days. If you have a poor gpa then any decent graduate schools are out of the window. Also, 20 years ago companies looked to see if people had graduated from college as a big dividing line. Today, so many people are graduating that the dividing line for many companies is having a gpa of 3.0 or better. So you don't feel like going to school, you're studying something you don't enjoy, and you're getting bad grades...toughing it out doesn't really seem like a fruitful solution.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:17 PM

K so i've ready this whole thread now.

ZJ, sounds like you want to 'do something' outside poker with your life one day. That makes me think instead of dropping out you should just take a very light course load but keep going.

What i think everyone is trying to say in this thread is that what you do should be determined what you want out of your life. If you want a job and a family one day you shouldn't risk falling off the legitimate path of life so don't take time off.

It really comes down to each his own. I have less than a year left of school, and i intend to finish it because it's not very much and it's not very hard. It sounds like a lot of guys on this forum want some legitimacy to their life one day. To be honest i can't possibly imagine a life better spent playing poker for the rest of my days and traveling the world completely devoid of real world responsibility, but that's not for everyone.

Ask yourself what you really want in your future, it should help you figure out what you should do now.