Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Another tough river spot, same villain$4.40

tomek,

i think it's completely up to you if you want to play hands like J8s from the small blind.

my only point is: if you decide to play it - open raise it, cause you always have a good chance to win the pot preflop. if these kind of hands don't fit your opening requirements than i think it's better to fold it preflop than limp in a pot OOP.

limping from SB without a good reason is terrible play. either you get raised and have to fold or you have to play a hand OOP without any information where you stand.

this has nothing to do with pot control - this comes on the later streets, but has only to do with information. you always need a good reason to play a hand OOP, and if you do you need an information advantage.

at this stage of a tournament hands like this are tricky to play cause of the stack sizes. as said - against an aggressive opponent i would mostly fold this preflop, but if i decide to play it i open with a raise.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:49 PM

I guess i play bad, that's why i'm here.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:53 PM

tomek, i didn't mean this as offense - i like many of your posts, but i think limping (without a good reason) is a passive - and therefor not a winning - playing style.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:00 PM

The reasoning behind limping is I didnt really want to create a big pot oop wiht J8s. The limp is somewhat on the advice of sherman, im not saying he told me to do this or anything. I had a conversation with him awhile back after watching one of his hand histories and he was limping in the sb alot because as he described it most people at this level do not raise your limp much at all. You can prolly pick out who will and who wont, and then you can play the hand oop yes but a small pot and I like to take shots at the flop with nothing a fair amount of the time if the board is uncoordinated. I dont really like doing it on this board though as I already said and dont know why I did. Also is the river a good spot for a bet/fold? I know that went through my head during the river part.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:04 PM

yes i think the pot size is worth to try some sort of a blocking bet there.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:06 PM

Maybe like a blocking bet on the river of 2400 or so. It will look value like hopefully? and if he raises we can know we are beat and wont have to look at this big bet next time.

edit: Although isnt this bet designed to get value from some hands that we are beating as well?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tomek, i didn't mean this as offense - i like many of your posts, but i think limping (without a good reason) is a passive - and therefor not a winning - playing style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't take it offensively. But obv everyone think limping sucks, so as the only person that doesn't mind limping, I assume I am wrong. Hence I play bad. Just using simple logic.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:45 PM

I think you played the entire hand fine so long as you folded the river.

The only change I can see is leading the river for 4k and getting him to show down most hands.