Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Hands, that frustrate me

Poker Room skin
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, CO calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, CO folds, Hero ?

Villian is 44/15 or someting like that and donks very often. Fold as long as i have no read? But i have to get that read [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Hands, that frustrate me

Well, his range is probably flush draw (often a gutshot straight flush draw) and a pair. Unless he's brain dead, he's not donking into you with air or just a gutshot in this spot. You've probably got 25 percent equity against his range, so I think it's pretty close. Given that he's donking quite often, I think you should probably call, planning on folding if a non-spade broadway falls. But this is a sucky spot and I think folding is OK too.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:24 PM

I gonna be a douchebag for a minute. There are two ways to look at this:

Mathematically

2-1 that he has a spade draw, an out-of-left field six, or that one of your draws will come in.

8-1 that he'll give up on turn and/or you'll get a useful spade or a nine.

The 8-1 is probably about the right price.

Once you peel, you got 3-1 to call down. You probably need about 5-1 if you figure him for 50 possible spade and sixes combos v. 250 or so Ace or Jack combos. And 6-1 is probably closer since he's not donking everytime he gets a draw or a small pair.

Psychologically

If this guy has just a six or a draw then he's got balls of steel with impeccable timing and deserves the damn thing. I'll either let him have it now or hold him off until the turn and see how tough he is then.

I think folding the flop is best because if he does slowdown on the turn, he could still easily have a Jack and however you play it - you'll probably pay one more to see a SD.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:52 PM

I would be more frustrated if he just check/called, and I would have to figure out what to do on the turn. You just saved a SB, rejoice!
Old 09-26-2007, 06:24 PM

Hero folds and pats himself on the back for not pissing away more than 1 BB on this hand.

You're either behind a boatload of hands or you are ahead and have to dodge a boatload of cards on the turn and river just to win this hand. Sure, you could call this flop bet but what do you do when the turn brings a T, K, Q, or spade?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero folds and pats himself on the back for not pissing away more than 1 BB on this hand.

You're either behind a boatload of hands or you are ahead and have to dodge a boatload of cards on the turn and river just to win this hand. Sure, you could call this flop bet but what do you do when the turn brings a T, K, Q, or spade?

[/ QUOTE ]

You fold when a non spade T,K,or Q hits the turn, or call when any other card hits. If a spade hits the turn you have a bunch of dirty outs that will be good often enough for you to call the turn and fold UI on the river. Yes, you're usually going to lose this pot, but you're getting 7-1 on the flop call, and your equity high enough to call and see what the turn brings.