Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 AM

Default Re: 1.00-2.00......KQs in sb

I think Stox's book probably has more advice/examples of when it's appropriate to take passive lines in aggro games, especially when HU. There isn't a dedicated chapter per se, but there are multiple situations throughout the book where he advocates a "let the aggressor hang himself" approach.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is off-topic to the original post, sorry for that. Mods feel free to move this or whatever you see appropriate.

This discussion on "having/taking the initiative/control of the hand" is very interesting and in my opinion would merit a dedicated thread.

It is something I feel I'm currently doing too much and in the wrong places and has creeped into my play more after I began to learn and play 6-max as well.

If some of the old hands here would care to elaborate on this subject in the "pooh-bah dissertation"-like spirit I'm sure I wouldn't be the only newbie (70k online limit hands) greatly appreciating it.

I understand that it is a highly situational subject but would applaud an attempt to generalize or at least discuss the issues to consider, like when to take control of a hand and when to relinguish it, etc.

EDIT: hints to book chapters etc. discussing this would also be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was going to encourage the following post to be next month's blast from the past in the digest. i guess it can be anyway, but i want to share it here. pay close attention to the discussion around mistake #3.

elindauer's common leaks in the 2p2 game this is by(what has grown to be) one of my favorite posters ever on this site.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:10 AM

The A7s hand where he want to check in position on a 558 flop with a fd is bad.

I am sorry. lindauer is one of my heroes as well. But thats just a bad check
Old 09-26-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The A7s hand where he want to check in position on a 558 flop with a fd is bad.

I am sorry. lindauer is one of my heroes as well. But thats just a bad check

[/ QUOTE ]

in a vacuum it is. read on about his explanation as to why he too thought it was a poor example. he states that he likely should have used an example where the play is balanced with checking weak hands to start with. even better than his initial post is the discussion to follow. read on.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:18 AM

oops, my bad. TY!
Old 09-26-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3bet pf. get it HU and play some poker. against alot of opponents in this situation, check-calling down is perfectly fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting.

3 bet preflop, and c/c down the flop. not a line that i thought of but one that makes perfect sense in a lot of spots like this.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i was going to encourage the following post to be next month's blast from the past in the digest. i guess it can be anyway, but i want to share it here. pay close attention to the discussion around mistake #3.

elindauer's common leaks in the 2p2 game this is by(what has grown to be) one of my favorite posters ever on this site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! Very good discussion in the thread and I'm on the verge of realizing a leak in my game.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you! Very good discussion in the thread and I'm on the verge of realizing a leak in my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

at the risk of further hijacking OP's post, i would caution you to keep in mind the possible difference in opponents and game textures that might lessen the importance of these concepts in relation to your games. don't get me wrong, for anyone wanting to move up it's important to start thinking this way. actually, applying it to the wrong games might cost more than it gains and that would be a mistake.