Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 12:04 AM

Default New install of XP, TLDR not found message.

Ok so this is the first time i've installed on OS, when I first turn on the PC it asks to boot from disc, if the XP disc is in the tray it loads fine, but if it's not then a message comes up saying TLDR not found press CTL+Alt+Del to restart. This may be something simple I just dont know about but what do I need to do to boot without the XP disc in the tray.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: New install of XP, TLDR not found message.

You sure it didn't say "NTLDR not found"? That would mean you're trying to boot off a nonbootable drive. Like if you didn't install an OS onto the harddrive...

edit: Or if somehow you had a funky boot order and it was trying to boot off your ipod.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:25 AM

Just so we are on the same page, when the XP cd is in the drive it will boot windows?

I had a similar problem with a laptop due to boot order issues in the bios. Only way I could get XP on the drive was to remove the HD from the boot order. I forgot to change it back and in order to start up windows XP had to be in the drive.

Is this a new/old computer, did you make any changes to the boot order in the bios?

edit: sigh I have had to edit my posts at a rate of about 3x per post tonight, my brain is not working properly. What I was driving at with 'boot windows':
You are referring to starting XP after a successfull install not problems with booting from the HD during the installation process, correct?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:33 AM

It is a new computer, but yeah it was just a simple change in the bios, but thanks for the responses. NTLDR was right thats why google wasn't helping me at all.