Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Calf Muscle Strain. Need some advice on recovery.

I was at the local YMCA playing basketball on Saturday when I went for a loose ball and heard my right calf pop. I was not in too much pain but I couldn't walk anymore. I immediately iced it.

I have no insurance so I wasn't going to the hospital unless it was very bad/painful the next day.

I looked up some info on the internet and found a few tips. They recommend that I stay off the injury and ice it 4 times a day for 15-20 minutes to keep the swelling down. Luckily the next day it wasn't too painful and it didn't swell, so it wasn't a very serious injury.

Right now my calf is stiff and there is only a little pain when I try to stretch it or walk normally.

1) Anyone ever pulled a calf muscle? If so, how did you recover and rehabilitate it?

I'm nervous because it's the first time I have ever strain my calf muscle. I just hope for a speedy recovery so I can get back on the basketball courts.

thanks for any tips/advice
Old 09-25-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Calf Muscle Strain. Need some advice on recovery.

YO,

That pop sound sucks hard, doesn't it?

I coincidentally did this on Saturday when I went for a run when it was cold and I was a bit dehydrated and didn't bother to warm up or stretch well.

Beyond the standard recovery stuff, I'd add one thing. Do a lot of calf-specific stretches and exercises, even after it feels better walking around. This is one of those muscles that doesn't get fully used in normal activities, so it can feel like it's better, but when you get into a game situation and do a quick plant/push/change of direction, you can easily reinjure it. Similar to a groin injury - you can feel like it's 100%, but when you go for a big quick lunge, bang, reinjured.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 PM

^^ Spot on, its gonna feel like its fine long before its actually fine.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:16 AM

El Diablo,

That popping sound def suck.

It's been 4 days now since I pulled my calf muscle. I can walk normally but when I try to run there is still a slight pain/stiffness in the calf muscle. I'm just going to gently stretch it and help speed the recovery time.

Once the pain disappears I'll def do a lot of calf-specific stretches and exercises to help get it back to normal.

I've learned my lesson the hard way and will now warm up and stretch properly before basketball. If I do that, I won't be too afraid of re injuring it.

thanks again.