Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 01:58 PM

Default 1$ pokerstars questions

Hey I just started playing online with a free $50 bankroll and have been playing the $1 games.

I was wonder if this is something you would normally do or not, I have the feeling I should have just called to see what the flop had to offer.

The villain was pretty much tight aggressive, but had loosened up on the bubble.

I had been playing standard TAG play as dictated in Moshman's 2+2 book, but one player was really loose passive and I had crushed his stack mid game with some speculative hands.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero (t4715)
UTG (t3805)
Button (t2690)
SB (t2290)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t450</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4715</font>, Button calls t2240 (All-In).
Old 09-25-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: 1$ pokerstars questions

I would shove this every time in this spot. nh
Old 09-25-2007, 02:10 PM

super standard
Old 09-25-2007, 02:15 PM

AK is a monster here, and we have a lot of FE, normally. We still have a change if we lose, so this is something to take in consideration. So standard
Old 09-25-2007, 02:17 PM

Can't imagine a scenario i would fold AK to in a 1$ sng on this spot.

You got it in on the right spot. If you lost: unfortunate.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
super standard

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-25-2007, 09:27 PM

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a minute ... $1 SNG means you have no folding equity ... He raised 3xBB, leaving him with 2240 ... It's a button raise, so his range is wide ... If you just call, then lead out for 500 on the flop, regardless of whether you hit or not, you're either going to induce a fold, or a push, where if you have nothing, you can still fold and have 3715 ... Now, all of this ONLY applies if you feel you're better than the three other players ... If you feel they can outplay you, then push this preflop, because most of the time you're ahead ... If he calls with something like any pp or two live suited cards, you're giving up your talent edge on the bubble, though ... It all comes down to whether you feel you can win it, still, with 3700 ... I'm sure ICM theory says push, but in this spot, with the stacks, at a $1 SNG, I might opt for the conservative play ...
Old 09-25-2007, 09:55 PM

Uhhh he still has fold equity preflop...I'm not getting how he doesn't have any fold equity. People can raise and fold crap in these things. Even if it weren't the bubble, which I just now realize it is lol.

Also, outplaying people when you flop crap OOP is hard, and if you hit an ace or king you basicly aren't likely to get paid off unless you get it in beforehand IMO.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhhh he still has fold equity preflop...I'm not getting how he doesn't have any fold equity. People can raise and fold crap in these things. Even if it weren't the bubble, which I just now realize it is lol.

Also, outplaying people when you flop crap OOP is hard, and if you hit an ace or king you basicly aren't likely to get paid off unless you get it in beforehand IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Plus its a $1 game and keeping it simple is how you beat these players. Nice hand OP. Well played.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:04 PM

Yeah in a Dollar Tourney keep it simple and you'll be fine