Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Per Hour Rate

Stop thinking about poker as a series of separate sessions - it's really one long session separated by your regular life.

If you think the game is good, its worth playing in - if the game is too tough either from the opponents being good or you not being on your best game (drunk, tired, tilted, etc) - its not worth ever playing in.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm playing exclusively 3/6 Limit, B&M, with a buyin of $100. I usually will play 4-5 hrs per session, and if I lose the $100, I'm out - figure that the cards aren't with me if I'm losing that much with such selective and tight play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is ~16 BBs enough $$ for this game? this seems low. I can't imagine sitting in this game for under $300 (50 BBs).
Old 09-25-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, that puts me about 20xbb... then why do I feel like such a terrible player?? Of course, it could be because when I move up to the .10/.25 and .25/.50 games I CAN'T SEE TO HAVE A WINNING SESSION...

What the heck is so different between those levels that can kill me so often? I don't wanna be a big winner (only) in the kiddie pool all my life!

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that you are playing too many hands and taking them too far. I found Internet Texas Holdem by Hilger very helpful. It does a great job of teaching you what to fold and what to continue with based on the texture of the flop.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
U.S. Players can play on a couple sites. I play on PokerStars, and have to use epassporte to load money from my bank through epassporte onto Stars. I can't remember what others sites are still ok for the U.S. off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure there're more.

[/ QUOTE ]

By far the most recommended sites for US players are PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker. I play on PokerStars, and as Daniel Negranu says in the commercials, that is where you will find the most games and tournaments.

The two ways I know of for US players to deposit on PokerStars are E-Passporte and Western Union.

There are other sites that take US players, but don't come as highly recommended, for various reasons such as trouble with bots, lack of games, or other issues.

However, if you are interested in "bonus whoring", then of course you will take a look at all of the sites at some point.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is ~16 BBs enough $$ for this game? this seems low. I can't imagine sitting in this game for under $300 (50 BBs).

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think so at first, but it's what Lee Jones recommended ($80-$100) in his 2nd edition of Low Limit Hold'em.

It may be true that I'm more conservative than I should be because of the low buyin, but I'm usually able to play comfortably for about 3-5 hours.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:14 PM

When I was playing 3/6 B&M, I would buy in for $180 and not rebuy (the Lederer 30 BB loss rule). The thing to remember about B&M 3/6 limit poker is that you will almost certainly not be the big winner at the table playing correctly. There is always some ATC player who is just hitting everything sitting over there with $500. This is irritating, but don't let it get to you. If you're consistently beating 3/6, I'd recommend moving up to 4/8 if it's available. The bankroll requirements aren't significantly higher and the skill level required is the same, but essentially given the game dynamics the extra $1 and $2 for a small and big bet are unraked. It's much easier IMO to beat a 4/8 game than a 3/6.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:19 AM

Irritating indeed! I see it all the friggin time.

Interesting about the higher level and the rake thing. We have 5/10 limit; I may give that one a try when I get my roll built (the average buyin there - actually, it seems EVERYONE - is buying in for $200), but until then, I'll hang with 3/6, which is the lowest level offered.