Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (9/24) (Spoilers in Thread to come?)

[ QUOTE ]

of course if your playing .1/.2 on pokerstars there is really no need to insure your 27.75 all in bet is there?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there isn't. But then again, I would expect the pros to be properly rolled for the games they play. That is to say, they have enough money that whether they win or lose a buy in in this particular hand is irrelevant to them. Only thing that matters is that in the long run the pros know they will have won money. With that in mind, Hellmuth's -ev insurance deals make no sense. None at all.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:23 PM

i find it funny that PH is asking for all these insurance bets YET he hasnt got a clue as to what the actual odds are for his hands.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i find it funny that PH is asking for all these insurance bets YET he hasnt got a clue as to what the actual odds are for his hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that the odds shown on your TV screen are based on the folded cards that Phil doesn't see, right?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that the odds shown on your TV screen are based on the folded cards that Phil doesn't see, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize you're wrong about this for High Stakes Poker, right?
Old 09-25-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My perspective as a viewer/fan is that "running it twice" and similar things have ruined the action...there are so few large, scooped pots because, whenever any real money goes into the pot, a tedious negotiation ensues and the result is usually the anticlimactic running it twice/chopped pot. Also, I think the players demonstrate a consistent overall pussy-ish-ness in most of these situations, and I feel people should be willing to gamble for the amount of money they decided to put in the pot and not look for every possible way to hedge their action after the money goes in

[/ QUOTE ]

if you consider these guys playing the game for your amusement then yes .. you're right.. .you're being cheated from your carnal pleasure of seeing one player felted by another. if you consider the fact that you are watching professionals, putting their bankroll at risk, then you should be able to understand the reasoning for such activities. hellmuth taking insurance should make sense. he got his money in with the best hand. now he takes insurance to minimize his losses if the huge suckout happens. if you're playing the game for a living rather than for the rush you should be able to see the sensible reasoning behind these moves.

of course if your playing .1/.2 on pokerstars there is really no need to insure your 27.75 all in bet is there?

HSP came to be to allow folks to see what a big game is like. it was not brought to television so that viewers can get a rush from watching players get busted. yet, in the four seasons so far we have seen many a player get felted haven't we. nothing to complain about in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

I understand the reasoning for such activities: Either PH doesn't understand variance, or he's underrolled for the stakes, or he's an idiot. Actually, they all are pretty much the same thing.

Of course it's his prerogative if he wants to give his money away.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I understand the reasoning for such activities: Either PH doesn't understand variance, or he's underrolled for the stakes, or he's an idiot. Actually, they all are pretty much the same thing.

Of course it's his prerogative if he wants to give his money away.

[/ QUOTE ]

i won't get into an argument defending PH ... i will tell you this story. several years ago i watched a pre super bowl interview with a guy in vegas whom wagered on sports for a living. he told the interviewer that he would make several bets on the game... his goal was to find a way to win money with the least risk of coming up a loser. when i see PH ask for insurance or another player asking to run it twice this is what i always think of. i, myself, don't know what it's like to have my living hinge on the turn of a card. i do believe if i were in that position i wouldn't mind finding a way to lessen the role of chance/luck in the outcome. from what i see insurance offers that.

there are a few well publicized stories of PH losing big. the most recent one is where he went down to Ivey for half a mil at chinese poker. i don't think the mans willingness to gamble should be called into question. unless, a man's status as a pro poker player is merely relative to how large of a pot you've seen him lose/win on television.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:07 PM

- Sammy such an incredible fish in this game

- Hellmuth is so pathetic; in every possible way.

- I've always liked Daniel

- I'm so happy I play online so I don't have to listen to donks whine about crap, like Safai

- Jennifer is so cute

- The waitresses look like dumb whores, as always

- Boring episode; we want to see pros playing superdifficult hands.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That show was painful to watch for sammy. How much does Sammy have behind him these days after losing $2 mil to aba, his Bellagio high stakes BJ addiction and now HSP? Pretty freaking sick.

Next week's show looks great. It seems to me that Negreanu tangles with Harman once again. Harman is like one of those uber nits at my tables with 10/5/3 stats, if she bets, just get out of the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure farha is doing fine financially and probably knows he's playing like a donk than actually being a donk.

I'd be pretty upset if Harman starting playing j6 os. Every fold she has made so far seems to be the correct one. If she's getting dealt crap, nothing she can do about it.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- Sammy such an incredible fish in this game

- Hellmuth is so pathetic; in every possible way.

- I've always liked Daniel

- I'm so happy I play online so I don't have to listen to donks whine about crap, like Safai

- Jennifer is so cute

- The waitresses look like dumb whores, as always

- Boring episode; we want to see pros playing superdifficult hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir chat S H I T
Old 09-25-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you consider the fact that you are watching professionals, putting their bankroll at risk, then you should be able to understand the reasoning for such activities. hellmuth taking insurance should make sense. he got his money in with the best hand. now he takes insurance to minimize his losses if the huge suckout happens. if you're playing the game for a living rather than for the rush you should be able to see the sensible reasoning behind these moves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that, I just find it annoying that most of these guys strut around going "we're the super balla gamblers not like those grinder nits, look at our big bricks of cash", but then any time they are actually faced with a gamble they want to insure everything and run it twice.