Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Noob HU Cash Questions...

Hey guys, I just have a couple questions about cash HU.

All of these questions deal with .5/1

What is a good sample size. Obv I know the more the better, but is 50k at one limit enough, or do i HAVE TO have 100k

Assuming you can play only 200 hands/hr, 4 tables, 5 hours a day..so thats what.. 4k hands/day. Does anyone know what kind of rakeback that is about assuming 27%? i dont expect anyone to give me exact details.. but if you could tell me what you get and how much you play that would help alot.

Last, I know the FAQ says if you are winning be happy. But I was wondering what kind of winrate most are trying to get. Is 10bb/100 way at the top or what?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Noob HU Cash Questions...

50k is a good sample size .

Here is the equation for your rakeback :

5%*average pot size*raked hands/players = rake

So you need to know the average pot size and we may plug 2 for the number of players . Also , your rakeback is 27% of the total rake which I've given you the formula for already .

Example: Lets say average pot size =$20
Number of raked hands = 4k
rakeback=27%*rake

Using the formula we get :

0.05*20*4000/2=rake
2000=rake
rakeback=27%*rake
rakeback=$540

I've made up these numbers , you should have an idea of what the average pot size is .

10bb/100 hands is a good number to strive for . As you move up in stakes , you win rate should drop a little so there is no correct answer . 10bb/100hands is a generic number that gets thrown out there but it's not always the ideal number for the game you're in .

If you have more questions , feel free to ask .
Old 09-25-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What is a good sample size. Obv I know the more the better, but is 50k at one limit enough, or do i HAVE TO have 100k

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't NEED any sample size. Are you questioning whether you are a winning player? Are you trying to be staked? Are you trying to figure your out your exact winrate? Are you supporting yourself with poker, or trying to learn and move up as quickly as possible/feasible?

In my opinion, you should be able to tell if your style is a winning style against your level of opponents by 5-10K hands. You wont have a good estimate at your winrate until more than 10x that number of hands. It's possible to run bad for many hands (ask LJ).

If you're unsure of your winrate at a level, you shouldnt be 4tabling HU. IMHO. Unless this post is a brag that you are making 20ptBB/100... then please post your winrate, and we can offer input. .5/1 has a wide range of opponent skill levels, so it is possible that you are that much better than your opponents. And you are running hot.

Rake: it decreases as you move up in stakes, as a percent of the blinds (because it's capped) and in absolute terms (because more hands don't see a flop). I don't have a good estimate for .5/1, and it depends on the gameflow (lot of limping?).
Old 09-25-2007, 11:43 AM

using avg pot size to figure out rakeback is probably a bad idea since the rake is capped at 50 cents. If you have 2 big pots (200 bucks or so) you're going to inflate your avg pot size with an amount that wasn't raked at all. OP - I made about 450 in rakeback last month at 100NL playing about 30k hands.

OP - have you played any HU yet? If you haven't, I'm not sure 4-tabling is a very good idea. I also wouldn't worry much about your winrate.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:49 PM

Thanks for all of the replies.

I played HU about a year ago just for fun. I use to play 9 tables 6 max until a couple days ago I decided to change to HU. Once I get started, I don't think 4 tables will be too hard, but for the start I think I will go with two.

thanks for the tips on BB/100 and rakeback.