Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 10:51 PM

Default TT and getting donk bet with one overcard

This guy is moderately aggressive, but does a lot of cold calling, limping and chasing as well:

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

I think I should have folded this somewhere.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: TT and getting donk bet with one overcard

With opponents as you've mentioned, I tend to raise the flop (take the pot there or at least slow him down) I would reluctantly fold to any further aggression.

As played I would have folded the turn.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:50 PM

I agree. I fold the turn except those donks that are always looking to make plays at pots. The spewish option (do this rarely) is to raise the turn and check behind, but this line does not make sense against this opponent.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:54 PM

Against alot of guys, the fact he leads the A turn makes me like my hand more. Some types will get scared and check a J here, but play a draw like the nuts. We don't have that read, though, but I still wouldn't fold.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:05 AM

Abs, call it down. That's a good board texture for your hand. This is why I don't fold to donk bets from bad player anymore:

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Jh Ac (high card, ace).
Hero has 6c 6h (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.75 BB. </font>
PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 8d Kd (two pair, jacks and eights).
Hero has Kh Ah (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: SB wins 8.50 BB. </font>

There's plenty more.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against alot of guys, the fact he leads the A turn makes me like my hand more. Some types will get scared and check a J here

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly, hard to put him on a J or a 7, whatever his hand is his play is so weird id want to call him down here just to see it
Old 09-25-2007, 05:23 AM

I call this down, but I see a lot of donkish types donk strong but unimproved A-highs (e.g. AQo) on dry/paired boards. They think it's unlikely that you hit, that hey might be good and if not then they can represent the trips.

In that case he hit his ace and kept bettign.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:26 AM

call down and take notes what villains donk with. At theese stakes notes of what they donk with is one of the most important reads to have.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:59 AM

How frequently the villain defends his BB would be a major factor in the hand. The turn is a terrible card for you because the villain will have Ax alot here. However he could have a worse pair than your or K high. Calling down is ok IMO.