Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 07:30 PM

Default New to 6-max, a few 1/2 hands.

I've recently (~2000 hands) made the move to 6-max from full ring. Feeling a little lost in certain situations. I've been making note of hands that i've been unsure of as i've been playing (there are a lot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). Here are a couple. Thanks in advance for any advice.

----------------
No reads, I had just sat down. This hand I basically figure as long as no one raises, my hand is best? Playing small pocket pairs is definately giving me some trouble.

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6SB, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4.5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Results:
Final pot: 9.5BB

-------------------

Villain in this hand is 75/0/.8 after ~50 hands.

The notes I had taken on him are:
bet river bottom pair when checked to. slowplay trips on flop, raised turn. Waited to raise turn with flopped top pair.

When the queen hits on the turn and he donks, is it right to call down? or against someone like this should I be raising?

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4.5BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6.5BB, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Results:
Final pot: 8.5BB

-------------------------

Blind defence time. Unfortunately no reads here, had just recently sat down and this was the first hand I had seen villain involved in. Should I check/call this river?

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
4 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4.5SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Results:
Final pot: 8.25BB

------------------

For the last one, here's a hand I really had no idea what to do. I just think i'm behind too often here, even if villain is just defending blinds? He had recently sat down, so I had no real reads.

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc3333">Hero Caps</font>, BB calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8.5SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: 1SB returned to BB.

Results:
Final pot: 4.25BB
Old 03-13-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Re: New to 6-max, a few 1/2 hands.

Hi cgib,

Hand 1: Check the river through. BB will not call most of the time with hands you beat, but he will call with hands you don't beat like 66 or a weak ace.

BTW, your post is listed as your 2nd one, but it is the only post attributed to you on these forums. Did you delete the first one?

21R2a1P&amp;1RofAll
Old 03-13-2006, 07:57 PM

Nope, didn't delete it. iirc I answered some tech help question in the computers forum a long time ago. No idea why it would be gone?
Old 03-13-2006, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
21R2a1P&amp;1RofAll

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Hand 1, I don't think there's any value in that river bet.

Hand 2 and 3 look fine.

Hand 4, I stick in a flop raise and probably bet the turn and take a free showdown. Folding to a 3-bet or turn c/r or turn bet or river bet.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:02 PM

Keeping in mind that I am new to 6-max also, my thoughts:

Hand 1 - with two callers on the flop, one of them has an Ace. c/f the turn. One caller I might put on a flush draw, but not two.

Hand 2 - I like it.

Hand 3 - I like it.

Hand 4 - I might go your line, or might push back on the flop.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:02 PM

Hand 1

I think this is a very thin value bet on the river.

Hand 2

I play this hand the same. I don't raise the turn and I'm also never folding.

Hand 3

I think I like this. Check/calling is to induce a bluff by a hand that you beat, while he would fold if you bet.

I already see that he called the river, so that may affect my judgement.

Hand 4

I peel one to pick up a flushdraw.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 4, I stick in a flop raise and probably bet the turn and take a free showdown. Folding to a 3-bet or turn c/r or turn bet or river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 4 - I might go your line, or might push back on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like this. Could you tell me why to raise the flop?
Old 03-13-2006, 08:06 PM

alright. I'll give it a crack.

Hand 1: I think is fine. What if you were raised on the turn?

Hand2: Good river value bet, I check this too often. Could you fold to a river raise?

Hand 3: Fair enough

Hand 4: I am taking this baby to the river. unless something even scarier hits.

there's my two cents worth.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:45 PM

Thanks for all the responses.

Hand 1 I see the point that I'm likey not folding both of them. It seemed to me that my chances of folding them both by betting when the ace fell were higher than winning a free showdown vs two, and I could possibly beat one caller. Bad thinking? The pot is big(ish), and I want to do everything I can to win it right?

Interested in more discussion on hand 4? Sounds like folding the flop is wrong. I guess reads would help, but why do we just assume he is defending? on that flop there is not a lot we beat if he has a legitimate hand. Is the fact he bets out on the flop more indicative of defence rather than a good hand?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:32 AM

Hand 1: Bet/Fold Turn, almost always check riv if called on turn. You are against TWO players. Against one, I bet through.

Hand 2: Value raise the turn. If re-raised call down. Make sure you bet that riv if you wern't raise on the turn.

Hand 3: Nice. I play the same. ~20% of the time I will throw in a re-raise preflop.

Hand 4: Tricky. Read dependant. Your play isn't TERRIBLEEEE but it isn't the best. I raise the flop bet and hope he folds kings or lower. IF re-raised, you can call the flop and if no imporvement fold the turn bet. DO NOT fold the flop though, the pot is huge. If you don't want to raise, and are 100% sure he has an ace, you still should call and see if you can spike your jack on the turn.