Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Help Desk - Property/Replacement Issue

Alright,

Brother collects some comic books

I borrow comic books

GF spills beer on one comic book

I tell brother that GF will buy new comic book

Brother asks if GF will buy the 'next' comic book (next on in series)

GF refuses to purchase the next one, will only replace damaged one

Notes: It was my beer, but that shouldn't matter. The comic book was no an original. Brother did have the complete series.

Q - (note: i am having trouble wording it correctly)

Assuming that my GF claims the responsibility to replace the comic book that she damaged, is she only required to replace the initial comic book. And is my brother wrong or have no right to ask her to instead purchase the next comic book. Are they just completely seperate enties that have no connection and does my brother asking to buy a different one, mean that he does not care about the one she wrecked and therefore she does not have to replace it.

Also note that my brother did keep the comics in great condition.

Obv not that important i'd just be interested to hear what people think of this. Thanks for any responses.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Help Desk - Property/Replacement Issue

Her responsibility is to replace the one damaged. That's it.

That said, I don't get what the problem is. Does the brother want both the old one and the new one? Or just the new one? Do they cost the same? If so, it's a nice gesture to just get him what he wants.

But the main point is that if she doesn't want to get him a new one, for whatever reason (say, she doesn't like him), she is completely entitled to just replace the old one. It's her call.

I also don't get why this is an issue between your brother and your GF. You borrowed the comics - it's your responsibility to return them. Her damaging the comic only creates an obligation between her and you - not her and your brother. Keep the lines of responsibility clear and you avoid awkward squabbles like this.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:07 PM

GF is 100% responsible for replacing damaged copy.

Brother is 100% entitled to request something different, IE next in series.

GF is 100% entitled to refuse request and replace like for like.

Brother's request would seem to suggest that he holds the value of damaged comic as less than you might otherwise think, but this is irrelevant to the three points I make here.

Q. Does brother value owning complete series, but not nescesarily value the condition they are in? In other words, he wants all the copies, but would rather have the damaged copy back and have GF but the next one to save $$?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:11 PM

She should pay him whatever the damaged one cost and let him do what he wants with the money....