Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 05:03 PM

Default 99 in bb with bunch of limpers in MTT early mid level blinds

how would you play 99 in bb with bunch of limpers in MTT with early mid level blinds and average stack. would u re-raise or try limp scooping . I'm thinking just call and see how flop goes
Old 09-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: 99 in bb with bunch of limpers in MTT early mid level blinds

with the little information you give here, i'd just check if there's big stacks compared to blinds (30Bigblinds or more) and play for set value... if not you might raise, after you've analyzed if someone could be laying a trap with a big pair. so its kinda read dependent. but early i just check and play it safe.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Re: 99 in bb with bunch of limpers in MTT early mid level blinds

With fairly deep stacks, I am always checking. If you raise and get a caller or two, you are out of position and probably facing a flop with one or more overcards. This is not a position you want to be in.

The play where you make a large raise from the BB to scoop a pot from a bunch of limpers should only be done with a trash hand that has no other value and didn't want to see a flop anyways. 99 is not one of those hands.

Of course, if stacks are getting a little lower, then a shove might be in order if there are no tricky players at the table and those limps mean what they seem to mean.

I'm generally not raising from the BB in a deep stack situation unless I have a premium hand that can be played out of position.

Keep in mind that for NL holdem, you will hear very often how important position is. The case you are talking about would be completely different if you had 99 on the button.